in Lines (Artist Research)

(Test) Wet-Wipes Monoprint

Deciding that my monoprints were a disaster and that I needed to try something else, I was doing more paint experiments. After making a mess of my hands and the table, I wiped down everything with wet wipes and placed them onto a piece of paper before leaving them aside to be trashed later.

After a while, I came back to throw out the wipes and paper when I realised that the paint-covered wet wipes had soaked into and imprinted the paper- creating something akin to a monoprint. I decided to roll with it and create a couple of pieces with the paint-coated wet wipes as my inking slab.

I smeared the wet wipes with paint using my fingers and tried to make it as streaky as possible. I then placed them onto a piece of paper.

I folded the page once carefully and added pressure to the page, smoothing it down and making sure I applied equal force to all corners of the page.

I then opened the paper and removed the wipes from the page.

After removing the wipes, this is the print that I managed to get. It looked very interesting- especially because not only were the lines of my paint-smearing captured, but also the texture of the wipes.

After removing the wipes, this is the print that I managed to get. It looked very interesting- especially because not only were the lines of my paint-smearing captured, but also the texture of the wipes. Because I folded the page in half, it come out looking rather Rorschach-esque and created an interesting symmetry on the top half of the page but not the bottom (Because I did not place a painted wet wipe on the bottom corner of the page). I liked this print as it appeared watery (because the water caused the paint to run)- I imagined this set of prints to look tired and exhausted.

Another print that I made with the same set of wipes- this time looking a little more faint because most of the paint had been transferred to the first set. I did enjoy the look of this one as it looked faint and watery (because of the water causing the paint to run)- I imagined this set of prints to look tired and exhausted.

Another print that I made with the same set of wipes- this time looking a little more faint because most of the paint had been transferred to the first set. I did enjoy the look of this one as it looked rather faint.

The wipes that I used to make the prints (Post-print). I wanted to keep them as a record of experimentation.