Fire and Ice
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice, 5
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
In the poem Fire and Ice, Robert Frost is not referring to the literal natural destruction like hellish volcano eruptions or ice age cold winters. Instead he is referring to the different sides of human. The different sides of human that could destroy us.
My interpretation of the poem is that the fire refers to our passion and desires, the part that makes us human. We all have an animal nature inside us. Hence my first photo shows an area in a red light district overlaid with a steamy smooch of a man and woman. It is to show the irresistible temptations of seduction, lust and adultery. All these hot deadly sins could end the world, that is what the poem is trying to say.
On the other hand, the last photo shows the other side of humans which is hate and envy. These sins are cold and subtle, often not showing it to others. But the jealousy and hate within someone at one point would be too much and he might ending up hurting others. The human is an equally deadly weapon with the power to overturn the world. The heart depicts one’s emotions and feelings while the knife represents the cruel thoughts and actions towards others. This could also end the world.
The middle picture shows how the author had experience both the hot fiery desires of human and the cold destruction of hate. But in the end he chose fire over ice to be more destructive as shown by the tilt of the silhouette’s head.
My references would be http://www.gradesaver.com/the-poetry-of-robert-frost/study-guide/summary-fire-and-ice-1923 where I have researched the meaning of Robert Frost’s poem. I have also looked at http://www.shmoop.com/fire-and-ice-frost/ for inspirations and translations of the poem.
- “Rouge City” by unknown photographer 07 May 2012, istvanffy.com, “Digital illusion”
- “Lipstick lips his and hers” by unknown photographer 5 July 2013, knockdown.wordpress.com, “Surely you want a vagina on your face too?”
- “Fire & ice advert” by Carte Noire Coffee UK 14 June 2013, youtube.com
- “Kitchen knife and cutting board” by Patan77 28 April 2012, turbosquid.com
- “Bleeding heart cake” by Lily Vanilli 01 February 2011, lily-vanilla.blogspot.sg, “Recipe & Instructions for the Bleeding Heart Cake”