I went straight to plan and do another prototype which will not require the use of velco connections.
This prototype will not show any edge corrugated lines from the sides.
This is to test the possibility of using the folds that are commonly seen on cardboard cartons as discussed in the earlier meetings.
I am still in the process of making this possible. More information will be uploaded when it is done.
I will also do a video documentation of these prototypes (assembly/disassembly) soon and get the links uploaded here.
I have finally finished my third full scale prototype and in the process of making my forth one.
For this experimentation, i also play with the use of textiles.
This prototype is based on the recent sketch that i have posted.
I decided to not do the tapered concept like the 2nd prototype but instead stick with a constant comfortable thickness for the entire structure. This way allows me to do a better and stronger structure.
The making process requires abit of work as the lining for the velcro strip is a little challenging.
I believe this prototype is as strong as the 2nd one and much stronger than the first one but also much more strudy than both of the previous models.
I really like how the clean cut lines are formed on the perimeter of the structure witn no visible rigid elements but still there is this gap in between from the velcro strips which cannot be avoided.
More supports are added to this prototype.
I bought a puzzle-join textile mats and modified them to go with my design.
Using fabric double sided tape, i bonded them with only the top part of the seating area along with a bit of side wall.
In the future, I might have to use another kind of adhesive to replace the double sided tape for better material bonding.
I am very much satisfied with the usage of the textile with the cardboard prototype as it makes the entire design look neutral and elegant but yet simple.
Futhermore the textile will help in hiding the creases of the cardboard from showing up in the future.
I evaluated the previous methods and fine sketch two new ideas which I will experiment.
I am still in the process of building my third prototype with a new method that will solve the issue of rigid flaps and complicated internal structures.
The newest method that I came out with will not require and form of Velcro but only slots and joints which I will only post when I have more materials to build.
This is the documentation of the process for my 2nd prototype testing with another method.
This is with the considerations of the design refinements made after the initial test model.
Honestly, this is a much more complex method. The overall outlook of the prototype may seem clean and simple but the internal parts and the fixing technique is not as friendly as the initial method. The double flaps on the top and bottom are hard to control. When slotting in the bottom parts the top seems to be flapping around and hard to hold them together. Other issues includes the contouring of the sides which do not gel or gives a consistent flow.
Above that, this structure seems to be a little bit stronger as it has double layer outer shelling surface and more interior support.
A solution for a newer method is still underway.