Foundation 3D Assignment 2A – Polyhedron Dreams (Development)

With my reference photos and array of materials at the ready, I began experimenting to see which would fit my final model best.

My first prototype consisted of thin and flimsy wire, which was difficult to control and shape precisely into the form that I envisioned. I had to use masking tape to hold the wire in the position I wanted. Hence, I moved on to try a thicker wire.

The thicker wire was more sturdy and gave me the cleaner lines I desired, but was not wieldy enough. As I intended to use thread in amounts dense enough to form the planes in my model, I used the same type of thread to temporarily hold the wire in position. This also proved mostly ineffective as the thread was not strong enough. Furthermore, I realised that the use of thread to form planes was an extremely inefficient use of time and effort, and that it was difficult to control as well.

After that, I reverted back to using sticks as they gave me the clean lines I envisioned for my final model. Instead of using chopsticks as I did for my first tetrahedron model, I used skewers instead as I felt that thinner sticks could better give the impression of flimsiness which would add to my concept of the final model hollowing inwards. While the material fit my requirements, I still thought that the model was too small to properly show enough details to have an impactful impression of “caving in”.

Hence, I made another prototype that was twice the size of the original model. As this was only a prototype, I used tape to temporarily hold the lines together. For the inner lines, I used the same material (skewers) as the outer form as opposed to a different material like thread or wires because I wanted the whole model to look cohesive and for the collapsing parts to not look dissociated from the outer lines.

 

Finally, I added inner planes made of cardboard. It was the same colour as the model which would tie in with the cohesive look I wanted. Also, adding planes that faced inwards provided a stable surface for the lines to connect to and gave a more realistic impression of “caving inwards”.

I intentionally excluded any planes on the outer surface as I wanted the model to have the hollowed effect from all angles. I felt that if I had put a couple of planes on the outer surfaces, it would obstruct the view of the inside from some of the angles, or look like the hollowed effect was occurring from the underside, which would not make sense structurally.

I also intentionally left some of the lines disconnected to express the absence of form, enhancing the impression that the model is caving in on itself.

As such, I completed my final model after much experimenting with materials and positioning.