“A line is a dot that went for a walk.”
18 emotions expressed using lines. My main sources of inspiration for this project are: cartoons which portrays this kind of emotions in an exaggerated manner; personal interpretation/perception of these emotions.
- Anxious– When i’m anxious i usually feel like i’m suffocating or drowning. Here i tried to depict bubbles, as if i’m being drag into the abyss of the ocean.
- Embarrassed– This one is inspired from cartoons. Whenever you feel embarrassed you feel sweaty and want to hide from the rest of the world. So i tried to make sweat droplets in a cartoon way with black droplets hiding behind the white droplets. By contrasting those two, i wanted to show that the black droplets are hiding behind the white droplets.
- Bizarre– Also inspired from cartoons. Whenever i see something bizarre i immediately think about the cartoon cliche, eyes watching you from every direction and wavy random lines.
- Exhausted(presentation)- This one is interesting because, when i feel exhausted, my body and my mind feels like falling apart. In the panel, i used lines in such a way that it looks like loose threads hanging,dripping,falling,crumbling down. The contrast here is that the lines is less dense at the top showing that energy is being sapped out.
- Fragile– To me fragile feels like cracked glass. The medium used to demonstrate this emotion is collage.( give a sense of contrast )
- Systematic– To me it feels like statistics,graphs being plotted.
- Lyrical– Lyrical is melodious and everything having a melody must have nice rhythm. So here i used alternate black and white regions to try and create a sense of rhythm but rhythm alone is not enough lyrical, therefore i incorporated circles going in and out of space (creating some depth) flowing around.
- Turbulent– Inspired from nature. i.e crashing waves. Medium used is charcoal. I think that charcoal is a really good medium to capture the swirls of the crashing waves and to emphasize the this turbulent feeling (smudging).
- Nonsensical– Meaningless, it is defined using lines to make shapes which does not have any or any sense at all! For instance i included a circle to make the pattern out of context.
- Psychotic– Through experimentation using chinese ink and blowing through a straw, i came with this random, bold pattern with curvy spikes and immediately saw it as psychotic.
- Ambiguous– For me ambiguous is vague, unclear and blurry. So for this emotion i tried to make it like out of focus circles which is called as ‘bokeh’ balls in photography.
- Distracted– Whenever i feel distracted my thoughts diverge away and for me to focus back (converge) takes a lot of time. This is what i wanted to demonstrate using the lines here.
- Sensual– To me sensual is related to curvy shapes and forms which arouses the senses. Inspiration: female figure; flowers.
- Sloven– Disorder, untidy, careless. When approaching this emotion, i tried to be messy like scribbling around, smudging paint everywhere…
- Spontaneous– I found this one quite interesting because to me spontaneous feel sudden, brusque like an explosion.
- Aggressive– Aggressive feels bold and spiky to me. Spikes going all directions.
- Awkward– Through experimentation i came through this idea. Awkwardness is rather a deep feeling but yet it feels like flowing away after sometimes. By using dots i wanted to show this deep feeling and by shaping/grouping them into a wave form suggested the way it flows.
- Indecisive– Left or right? Up or down? I do not know where to go. To me this is how it feels.