in My Work

2D Foundation II – 3D Typography Research

Farhad Moshiri

Artist Farhad Moshiri’s installation “Life is Beautiful” was made by piercing 1242 knives of different colors and sizes into a wall at Pallazzo Grassi, Italy (2009).

3DTypographyBook_FarhadMoshiri_01 3DTypographyBook_FarhadMoshiri_02 farhadmoshirilifeisbeautiful1 farhadmoshirilifeisbeautiful3

Personally, I really enjoy the way Moshiri uses ready-mades in his typography to literally play out the phrase “stabbed-out with knives”. The optical illusion is also very interesting as from far, one would not expect the colourful and playful typography to be something so dangerous as weapons being stabbed into the walls.

In my work, I would explore using ready-mades to express myself (my name), in “and I am diminishing.” In the typography, I am slowly disappearing, as if back into the box where I first “emerged” from in the form of light.

blogger-image-1707027476

Marc Quinn

9853

Self is a self-portrait of the artist, but one that literally uses his body as material since the cast of Quinn’s head, immersed in frozen silicone, is created from ten pints of his own blood. In this way, the materiality of the sculpture has both a symbolic and real function. The work was made at a time when Quinn was an alcoholic and a notion of dependency – of things needing to be plugged in or connected to something to survive – is apparent since the work needs electricity to retain its frozen appearance. A further iteration made every five years, this series of sculptures presents a cumulative index of passing time and an ongoing self-portrait of the artist’s ageing and changing self.”