Hello! Here’s my part 1 process of the mobile phone dock with speaker assignment.
Before I started sketching my ideation , I recap on week 3 lectures where we learnt different method of ideation sketching. Out of all the methods, I decided to go with focusing on the aesthetic qualities. Hence I decided to focus on polygon shapes to create the visual of the mobile phone dock.
One of the difficulties I face during sketching was drawing the orthographic view, as I can visualise in my mind how I wanted it to be but I could not draw it. Hence I did variations of perspective drawing on the selected sketch.
I forgot to take process photos as I was too focus on creating it and to make it stand in itself. Hence, above images are the outcome photos.
Firstly, it started form a cuboid foam. Then I cut out the front view which was the diamond shape, using the foam cutter. Then I cut the sides. This was the difficult part as it is supposed to be at an angle for both side. Hence I kept cutting using the foam cutter, and everything gets destroyed and I had to redo it.
I also forgotten about how the back of my foam suppose to be like. Hence, it lead me to being unable to make the foam stand on itself. To create the back part, I started shaving bit by bit using the foam cutter, not pen knife. Then when the foam looks like it was roughly there, I start sanding it. At first I used a small 5cm by 5cm sandpaper to sand it. Then Parimala suggested that I lay a big sandpaper on the table and put the foam on it and start sanding, which makes things much easier and faster too.
When I was sanding the edges, using the a small sandpaper, the tip of the foam always get cut off. This was one of the issues that I was not able to resolve during class. Hence I did some research, by watching youtube videos, to solve the issue. And the answer was to try other tools sand or cut it.
For next lesson, we are suppose to do more detail sketches, such as where the phone sits, the material and more. So before I start sketching, I did more research of a phone deck and speaker. And here are my findings:
That’s all for today’s post! Hopefully the next post will be a more refine version of my mobile phone deck with speaker!