The Hunger Games universe is a dystopia set in Panem, a country consisting of the wealthy Capitol and 12 districts in varying states of poverty. Every year, children from the districts are selected to participate in a compulsory annual televised death match called The Hunger Games.
My choose 4 quotes are:
- Katniss, the girl who was on fire!
- “I volunteer as tribute!”
- Here’s some advice. Stay alive.
- “Hope is the only thing stronger than fear.”
So before starting to design it, I research more in-depth about the main actress, Katniss and her characteristic.
- Katniss, 16 years old
- Black hair with a long braid
- Katniss’s first name comes from a plant called Sagittaria or arrowhead, another name for this plant is katniss
- Hunter, archer, trapper, tree-climber
- From district 12 – a coal-mining district – poorest and least populated
- Survivor – Work to help her family to survive by hunting
- Independent, strong woman with no knowledge about romance
- She has trust Issues – as it can be seen in the games
- Well educated on plants – she knows which plant is edible/poisonous
- Beautiful voice that makes the birds silent – whistle sound
“Katniss, the girl who was on fire!”
- Fire to show fierceness
- Her dress turn into flames as she twirls
- It was designed by Cinna, someone who Katniss trust during the games
- In the later series, the dress changed to fire then to a new dress.
- (a song) Girl on fire by Alicia Keys: Looks like a girl, but she’s a flame. So bright, she can burn your eyes
“I volunteer as tribute!” – Katniss
- Katniss volunteer in replace of her sister, Prim.
- She cares a lot for her sister and mum
- Tribute as a 74th Hunger Games – can the context be changed to other games?
- She knew it was a risk to volunteer, as there can only be 1 survivor in each games
ideation: I volunteer as tribute in a food completion games – something relevant to most people as food is one of the trend.
“Here’s some advice. Stay alive.”
- Stay alive in the hunger games – Can it be change to other context? Stay alive for school > add abit of humour
- Katniss wanted some advice from her guardian
ideation: Phone, battery low > said to it to stay alive. Or during submission week, we had to stay alive during the night time. I intended to put humour in it.
“Hope is the only thing stronger than fear.”
- Said by President Snow of the Capitol
- Katniss wanted to go against the Capitol
- She has fear of going against the Capitol/President Snow
- But her Hope is wanting to stop the hunger games as it is killing people and hunger games is an entertainment for the Capitol
After consulting my ideation, it wouldn’t be able to work as it will be difficult for audience to decode the message of the story through the movie context.