My chosen scene is from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s stone, the part when the trios (Harry, Ron and Hermione) met for the first time every on the train towards Hogwarts.
The idea I came up was to create a kinetic structure that plays with sound instead. The actions will happen in a box covered with a black cloth (maybe? Depends if I can get a black cloth) and let the audience HEAR my artwork instead of seeing.
My artist reference is Andrew Huang from YouTube. He plays around with sounds and music by using everyday objects, food and other things. It’s very interesting as to how he can make music with just an everyday object we use everyday.
My only concern now is how I need to put it all together and create different sounds at different timings.
If you want to find out more about Andrew Huang, you can access to his YouTube page at the link below!
I was given a choice to pick between 2 objects. One useful, another worthless.
Useful: Honey Beeswax Lip Balm (I use it everyday without fail)
Worthless: Expired Golf Proficiency Certificate
I’ve decided to use the “worthless” object to show that I can make something useful out of something worthless. My main object is the golf proficiency certificate. So, I’ve decided to focus more on the use of Golf.
Golf is a sport that represents calmness. You need to concentrate and be calm when you play this sport. Research shows that the color green presents calmness. Hence, the greenery in my artwork represents the calmness. When you’re playing on the green, you’re surrounded by almost everything nature-related. Hence, I’ve decided to focus on the materials of nature such as wood and grass to represent my artwork.
Moving on to the balancing beam, the 2 balls hung on the balance beam represents balance. I made sure both of the balls are filled with the same amount of sand to balance it well. The balancing beam is placed on a rotating platform and spun around to show the swing effect. Both of these techniques are very essential in a game of golf. The part that supports the balancing beam to the ground, that represents the feet. It shows how important that part is as the placement of the foot is very crucial. If not placed properly, the entire artwork will collapse.
I’ve enjoyed doing this project as I had a chance to bring out my craftsmanship and apply it well to my product. Overall, I am very satisfied with my final artwork.
And spinning the balancing beam around can be quite addicting.
The main scope of our first project was to create a plan using threads. We were tasked to make holes on our plane (paper and then hard plastic) and then sewing in and out with needle and thread to create that plane. I’ve tried to use different color threads so that it won’t be confusing.
Ideation & Process:
Initially, I had this design in mind. I’ve decided to create a squarish plane and combine each side together. I would’ve gone with this design but there were 2 problems as to why I didn’t. Firstly, the plane was forcefully folded and it wasn’t the threads that gave its shape. Secondly, only the inner part of the plane was aesthetically nice. There were no threads found on the back or bottom part of the plane.
This was the finalized design for my final project. I’ve decided to fold some parts of the plane and also using the pull and strength of the thread to create a fold. Initially I wanted to put a “pole” in the middle of the artifact for support and wrap the thread around it (as shown in the image below) but realized that it was not encouraged when Peter checked my work and gave me feedback. I saw this idea from my friend’s instagram and decided to give it a go but failed miserably. Very very miserably.
The process was hard as I had to crack my head and find which angle and folds work best for my artifact. I used a long rectangular plane and the cut it up and fold to make it into a smaller one. I had to make use of both sides to get a balanced look but as I added more threads to my artifact, it became messy, small and overly-tightened.
This was my final artifact for the project. I’ve used different colors. I’ve added some plane by the sides too. However, I’ve come to realize that using threads of many colors has caused the whole thing to look messy. I should’ve used at most 3 different colors to make it look nicer. And some of the thread color I’ve used seemed too bright to be seen from far, especially in the pictures above. All in all, I’m proud of how I was able to tighten the threads to make it look neat and presentable.
In conclusion, this project has greatly taught me the importance of these 3 basic elements: Dots, Lines and Plane. Without even 1 of the element stated, I would’ve not been able to complete the project smoothly. By combining these 3 together, it has created a aesthetically pleasant visual form of art and may create something else if used differently with different amount of emphasis on each element. I this particular project, we mainly focused on lines and planes. All in all, I’ve enjoyed completing this project as it enhances and opens my creativity to different mediums.