The main scope of our first project was to create a plan using threads. We were tasked to make holes on our plane (paper and then hard plastic) and then sewing in and out with needle and thread to create that plane. I’ve tried to use different color threads so that it won’t be confusing.
Ideation & Process:
Initially, I had this design in mind. I’ve decided to create a squarish plane and combine each side together. I would’ve gone with this design but there were 2 problems as to why I didn’t. Firstly, the plane was forcefully folded and it wasn’t the threads that gave its shape. Secondly, only the inner part of the plane was aesthetically nice. There were no threads found on the back or bottom part of the plane.
This was the finalized design for my final project. I’ve decided to fold some parts of the plane and also using the pull and strength of the thread to create a fold. Initially I wanted to put a “pole” in the middle of the artifact for support and wrap the thread around it (as shown in the image below) but realized that it was not encouraged when Peter checked my work and gave me feedback. I saw this idea from my friend’s instagram and decided to give it a go but failed miserably. Very very miserably.
The process was hard as I had to crack my head and find which angle and folds work best for my artifact. I used a long rectangular plane and the cut it up and fold to make it into a smaller one. I had to make use of both sides to get a balanced look but as I added more threads to my artifact, it became messy, small and overly-tightened.
This was my final artifact for the project. I’ve used different colors. I’ve added some plane by the sides too. However, I’ve come to realize that using threads of many colors has caused the whole thing to look messy. I should’ve used at most 3 different colors to make it look nicer. And some of the thread color I’ve used seemed too bright to be seen from far, especially in the pictures above. All in all, I’m proud of how I was able to tighten the threads to make it look neat and presentable.
In conclusion, this project has greatly taught me the importance of these 3 basic elements: Dots, Lines and Plane. Without even 1 of the element stated, I would’ve not been able to complete the project smoothly. By combining these 3 together, it has created a aesthetically pleasant visual form of art and may create something else if used differently with different amount of emphasis on each element. I this particular project, we mainly focused on lines and planes. All in all, I’ve enjoyed completing this project as it enhances and opens my creativity to different mediums.