Time to think like a magazine.

After my initial process… I GOT STUCK, LIKE LEGIT .

Truth to be told, there was no sketches done for the final project because of TWO reasons:

1. I had no idea of what exactly I wanted to showcase.
  2. I spent most of time the tinkering and trying to make sense out of InDesign software. It killed me.

Either ways, it has not been a smooth sailing process in coming up with my zine but then again, when was 2D ever smooth sailing? Therefore, i am going to share with you the initial spreads that I came up with and my thought process. All of these images are screenshots from earlier versions of my Zine.

PROJECT 3

This was my initial front and back cover (which is now a spread inside the zine itself). Getting the inspiration from an online zine I saw, I wanted to create something minimal yet attention-grabbing and i thought by having half a face present on the front page might do the trick. And to complete it, I then juxtapose it with the ego project i did as a back cover.

PROJECT 34

I played with the type of layouts and experimenting with rotation of an element, adding drop shadows and adding colors for the background. I thought it looked pretty okay at first but I realized that it lacked coherence and it seems too cluttered for my liking. In the end, I decided to split this spread into two separate spreads.

PROJECT 33

This was the only spread that remained largely unchanged in terms of its layout. However, after consultation with Shirley, I decided to take her advice and change the fonts used for my text into something more modern and less formal.

PROJECT 32

The idea for this spread is to transform the artworks from the first ever project into something more dramatic and interesting. After much exploration, I decided to rotate the individual strips to vertical orientation and have it mirrored such that it intrigues the viewers more. As you can probably see by now, the initial spreads were all pretty bare-boned and boring looking because i did not know how to incorporate colors correctly then.

That’s basically my process in a glance. Do read my final post for the final zine and my thoughts about it.