第二章:The Ritual

Disclaimer:

Their/they is used in place of he/she/his/her/etc because the gender of the sect leader is still unknown

After Xiu-Yu came back from her exploration, the both of you were blindfolded once again and led to another location. In the horse carriage, the both of you exchanged the information you had gotten.

Although Xiu-yu had managed to sneak out of the room, she didn’t get to find out a lot of information as the place was heavily surrounded by highly skilled guards. Sheng-En though, was more successful.

From the conversation he had with the servants, he learned five important things:

1. The entire week, starting from when the sacrifices are brought in, is called the Sacrificial Week
  2. It is the only time lower rank sect members have a chance of catching a glimpse of the leader, but only if they are lucky enough
  3. During this week, the sect leader will convene a meeting with the 5 division leaders
  4. Every sect members have to consume a poison that only the sect leader has the antidote to
  5. The antidotes will be disseminated during the meeting and the sect leader will also help each division leaders to level up their skills

Sheng-En also learned that obedient sacrifices get a chance to survive, but that all depends on the whims of the sect leader’s head attendant, one of the few people who are allowed to stay by their side.

However, the both of you don’t get to ponder for long. You have already reached your destination and must now get out of the security of the carriage. As the servants took out your blindfold, the both of you realise that here is where the real ritual will take place.

The both of you are once again cleaned thoroughly before being kept in a wooden box where only one of your arm is exposed. You are then transported to a simple yet elegant room. The first thing you both noticed is the silhouette of a person behind a translucent screen. Other than the fact that they seem to be sitting in a full lotus position, the both of you are unable to determine anything else.

At the raise of their hand, the servants at the side grabbed both of your arms and made a deep cut. Your blood flowed down heavily towards the bronze bucket at the bottom. It is only then that you noticed the bronze buckets and how they are connected to two long tubes that reach behind the screen to where the sect leader is.

For the next few hours, the both of you are left in this position until the figure behind the screen got up and left. By then, you are already nearly drained. In your last moments of consciousness, you see a young teen who had been in the room since you entered, approach you. And you hear the servants address him as “head attendant.”

Objective: 

The ritual will take place for two more days before the both of you are no longer needed. You have to gain the liking of the head attendant and convince him to let you stay by his side.

Published by

Ping

Hello world.

15 thoughts on “第二章:The Ritual”

1. The head attendant told the servants let both of us down. They separated both of us in different rooms. The servants bathe and clothe me as well. Then the head attendant entered the room and told all the servants to leave. He then brought me ointment and started to treat my wounds. The room is in a complete silence.
    “Why not just kill us? Why bother keep us? I thought all of us are going to be sacrificed?’ I ask him with a curios look (and a bit sarcastic l might add)

1. The head attendant gave you an ominous smile.
      “That’s because the both of you are considered smart. The others came in and started screaming for their lives. The sect leader likes servants that are intelligent and yet docile. Now I have a good eye at judging people. I hope you don’t prove me wrong.”
      After he said that, he skipped out of the room. Despite his childlike behaviour, you didn’t even realise the breath you were holding until he left.

1. As he left. I started wondering “Why do they need blood? Or sacrifices for that matter. What God do they worship? I know that rituals are conducted to bring about the gods. But I know none that need living sacrifices in this land. But…” I stop, because a memory came to mind. Memory the day my master was killed. The man who killed him had a demonic look to him.
        I immediately shrug that thought. And started to investigate the room. It looks more of a prison sell than a room. No windows, no furniture other than the a pile of hay to sleep on.
        I try the door, but it’s locked. “Well, it’s not wise to get out now. I’ll get lost and get caught immediately”
        I laid at my back to rest my dizzy head and wondered how sheng-en is doing. At the same time waiting for the head attendant to come back in.

1. Although you hoped for the head attendant to come back, you waited in vain.
          Soon, you were brought out of the room to meet with Sheng-en before being put into the carriage again. As the servant slammed the door shut, she advised the both you of you to rest early as there is still two more days to go.

— The next day —

Once again, a feast rich in iron was prepared for the both of you. Now that you have gained the liking of the head attendant, you have one last task to do, find out the purpose of the blood ritual.

1. We were both seated beside the head servant.
            As the other “sacrifices” starting to scorch down the food, I noticed that the head servant wasn’t eating.
            I open my mouth and say to him.
            “A lot of meat today. Is their going to be another blood ritual sir?” I smiled while taking a piece of meat with my chopstick.
            The servant was intrigued by my remark
            “Or is it poison and that’s why you are not eating?”

2. I eat silently while watching Xiu-Yi converse with the Head attendant. I throw a wink at him as Xiu-Yi mentions poison, causing the head attendant to lose composure a little as he answers her questions. Hopefully causing him a slip up or two.

2. In the other room, I sit bored out of my mind, just as with Xiu-Yi, the servants bathe and clothe me as well, though slightly put off by old scars, the servants recover quickly and continue their wash. While Xiu-Yi continues what I hope is a seduction. The head attendant soon appears and cleans my wounds as well. I sit silently, wincing when appropriate.
    I casually ask him what day it is today, and after he replies, I say cryptically, “I suppose he’ll be spending it alone again.” and look away sadly.
    The head attendant leaves (awkwardly I hope).
    At the door I say, “Head Attendant,” and as he turns around I look him in the eye with a smile and say, ” Thank you, I feel much better now.”

1. Soon, you were brought out of the room to meet with Sheng-en before being put into the carriage again. As the servant slammed the door shut, she advised the both you of you to rest early as there is still two more days to go.

— The next day —

3. @Xiu-yu

“A person of my status does not share food with peasants,” the head attendant said haughtily. “But you are half right, there is going to be another blood ritual. Today and tomorrow. So until tomorrow, the both of you are still worthy enough to be in my presence!”

He sips his tea, looked up at the both of you and expectation was written all over his face. It is as if he’s expecting the both of you to ask him questions.

1. I look as small as possible and say, “Truly to be in the same room as you is grand enough for us, much more to have you sitting at the same table as us. So, what’s with all the blood donations? Surely a man as great as yourself can find it in you to answer what two simple peasants could never figure out.”

4. Pleased at the attitude the both of you are giving him, he gives a victorious smile and said:
    “Since the both of you begged me to tell you, I shall! But I can’t reveal much though.”
    He gesture for the other servants to leave.
    “Come closer,” he beckons.

——- Chapter ends ——-