[Narrative Interaction] Reflection – The Garden of Forking Paths

“The Garden of Forking Paths”
by Jorge Luis Borges

The reading was so rich with vocabulary that I had trouble trying to understand what it meant so I used the context to help me understand the meaning. To be honest, I read it twice; the first time just passed my mind in a blur and the second time out loud so the words entered my own ears.

Firstly, I loved how the author described every single detail seen by the narrator from the environment to objects and from people’s clothes to their expressions. I had a sense of the story being an investigation narrative where I, as a reader, was trying to piece up the puzzle through what the narrator was encountering at different scenes (a reader going through a diverging and converging paths of the labyrinth). It also seemed like an ‘adventure’ as he was saving himself from Madden’s pursuit.

In terms of the storyline, I could not help but notice a lot of mazes in the story that linked each other up. Although I had difficulties trying to grasp everything, I had a gist of what it was about. As the story progresses, the plot took many unexpected turns that I had to follow aimlessly until I got back on track.

It was an interesting reading as the author explored the use of labyrinth as a metaphor which not only applied to the garden.

Published by

Dina

Believes in creating works that someone can not only see or touch but be part of, to be within them.