[Internet Art & Culture] Co-Broadcasting First Trial

Co-broadcasting.

Posted by Tiffany Anne on Thursday, 12 October 2017

Facebook Co-Broadcasting – First Experience
The new split-screen feature in the Facebook Live is a very useful additional to the whole live streaming trend. While you are streaming, you are able to invite a guest who is viewing your broadcast to join in to our live stream. 

This obviously solved the issue of us having a two-way communication with a viewer or a fellow broadcaster. Although there is a slight delay, it is sufficient to create more interaction with a viewer.

Portrait-Landscape Mode
In our first session, Tiffany was the broadcaster while I was the viewer. The first problem that I encountered was the portrait-landscape mode. When I accepted her invitation while I was on portrait mode, I was not given the chance to rotate it. Hence, my screen was still split but vertically so I only had a small space to view both broadcast. However, it looked fine on Tiffany’s screen as she started hers on landscape mode (I should have screenshot my screen at that time).

Tiffany and I trying to solve the portrait-landscape issue.

Then I decided to cancel and re-enter her broadcast after changing my view.

“Hi!” – Our first word and expression when we managed to see each other’s faces.

Lagging & Video Quality
Sometimes we encountered some lag in between (for about 2-3 seconds). “Tiff, you’re lagging!” and she would answer back, “Huh? YOU’RE lagging!”. Another point worth mentioning was that the video quality of me as a viewer dropped tremendously. At times, it looked so pixelated.

I looked static in her screen while she looked static on my screen during the lag.

Live Interaction with Guests
A plus point about this co-broadcasting was that I was able to interact with Tiffany’s guest in real time. So there were three people communicating now.

Saying hello to Tiffany’s guest, Rachel

Double View of Me?
When Tiffany went to the location where I was at, I was able to see my back-view using my front-view! Did that make sense? The experience felt as if I had eyes at the back of my head where I could see people behind me (haha). View my screenshot below :

(left) Tiffany’s screen (right) My screen
Like a paparazzi

Video Quality Reversed?
At a point, Tiffany experienced a few seconds of lag and for some reason, our video quality was reversed. The viewer’s screen was in a better resolution now as compared to the broadcaster’s screen.

Tiffany’s bad video quality VS mine

Writing on Screen
Tiffany was playing around with the filters when she discovered a way to actually WRITE on the screen. It was really cool as I thought this could make way for two people to sketch on their phones on real time while discussing something.

I was figuring out why Tiffany was smudging her phone camera with a red substance.
And when realization hit me that she wrote my name.

Overall, co-broadcasting creates more possibilities for live streamers to use their creativity and produce unique and amazing content. This further strengthens how powerful the Third Space can be.

Published by

Dina

Believes in creating works that someone can not only see or touch but be part of, to be within them.

One thought on “[Internet Art & Culture] Co-Broadcasting First Trial”