Journey of a Paper Boat
This project allowed us to experiment with different traditional media to express ourselves. I decided to settle on a ‘Journey of a Paper Boat’ concept where the paper boat represents myself. Although the paper boat looks weak, it is strong enough to last long on the water.
I used watercolour as my main medium to create a soft and dreamy look of the journey while adding on black and white pen line works to emphasise more on the outline and small details.
1) Ambitious + Calmness = Independent (ME)
- Ambitious : It is a composition of the paper boat on a map with a flag marked on an area, to indicate its destination.
- Calmness : The calm water and stationary ship by the dock created a quiet overall surrounding.
- Independent : I placed several sailing boats of the same colours in the middle ground while the paper boat is away and alone from those clusters in the foreground.
2) Exploration – Intimidation = Confidence (A better me)
- Exploration : The paper boat is placed on the right side of the image and a lighthouse to balance it out on the left side. This time, the water is slightly wavy to portray the paper boat traveling/moving.
- Intimidation : The paper boat is a small object surrounded by dark and vast space of trees. By comparing the scale of the boat to its environment and adding bats, I created an overall menacing vibe.
- Confidence : This composition is more of a close up to show how the paper boat just passes by two crocodiles trailing behind. This is to show how it has the confidence to overcome those fears.
3) Determination x Survival = Growth (An ideal me)
- Determination : I placed the paper boat going through a bad weather on the left side of the piece and several objects on the right side to balance everything out. The waves are harsher now, with white pen lines added to create the ‘storm’ look. With a black pen, I created clouds and heavy rain so the overall piece looks busy and chaotic.
- Survival : By painting the extra objects orange, I managed to make the paper boat stands out in its red colour. Also, I placed some of the objects into the ‘waterfall hole’ to create depth as if they are falling into it. I pushed the paper boat slightly off the edge to show the danger it is going through.
- Growth : No longer a paper boat, it has upgraded into a sailing boat to show the evolution/growth after going through the storm and waterfall.
4) Perception + Strategy = Victory (Me in 5 years)
- Perception : To show depth of feel, I composed the piece to look as if it is viewed from a high place. The foreground is painted red and the middle ground purple so the hills can gradually blend into the purple background.
- Strategy : This composition is like a bird’s eyeview or satellite view of the ‘Perception’ piece where the boat is navigating through the hills.
- Victory : I believe the Sun represents success and victory. By placing it on the right side and the boat on the left side, I managed to balance them out. The arrival of the boat also looks as if it has finally reached its destination.