My process to break apart the lint roller.
We were tasked to create 40 individual thumbnail sketches from our Assignment 1 item;
which happened to be a lint roller for me. On hindsight, I did regret choosing lint roller as
my object of choice as it was too simplistic in design and lacked the intricacies of other
objects such as hair dryer or vacuum cleaner, or even a drill. Thus, starting on Assignment
2 felt like a mounting task as I really struggled to come up with new ideas and kept referring
to existing objects to help me come up with my ideas. I really disliked THAT process and I
felt no sense of ownership of my drawings as they fell way below my expectations. Why
would anybody find my idea interesting if it was simply based on another invention?
Thus, after 26 painful sketches… I decided to redo the entire draft. This time round, I looked
long and hard at my previous sketches and used elimination to the sketches I felt were OK
over to my new sketches. After a few youtube videos for inspiration and listening to talk about
how ‘limitless’ and interesting it is to come up with ideation sketching, I picked up my pencil and
marker and just kept going at the paper, erasing from time to time to make sense of my sketches.
What I felt was really intriguing was that I would lean back and try to connect the dots after sketching out.
This kept the process very fascinating and to be honest the hours spent drawing the sketches didn’t
feel as long.
I was really glad to have thrown the old sketches out and start over, instead of ‘salvaging’ it. Breaking
apart the archetypal components of the lint roller allowed for much more creative space.