Claim: Qin tomb art is one of the peaks of the Chinese sculpture art, as it features every single people’s emotion and action well; every sculpture has its own characteristic.
- Introduction to tomb art
- Qin is the first dynasty when China is united. Hence, they have a powerful and stable economy and political structure.
- People then believed and took care of their afterlives.
- Propaganda: emperor was willing to use it to show his power of the country.
- It makes Qin dynasty’s tomb art to be a remarkable form of art in the Chinese art history.
Why it is remarkable?
- Large quantity
- High Quality
- Focus on details (hair, beard)
- Different characteristics for different soldiers
- Ration to the real person (1:1)
- Detailed hair and clothes
- Clothes & hairstyle
- Every figure has its own appearance and emotion.
- They are distinct in details like hair, clothes.
- Different clothes indicate different classes.
All these details make Qin terracotta figures remarkable in the Chinese art history.
袁仲一. 秦始皇陵兵马俑研究. 文物出版社, 1990. (Yuan Zhongyi, Researches on Terracotta Warriors in Qin dynasty. Cultural Relics Press. 1990.)
Zhang, Wenli. The Qin terracotta army: treasures of Lintong. Philip Wilson Publishers, Limited, 1996.