ZINE process (Part 2)

Hi all, so this will be my second process about my Zine.


As seen in Part 1, I wanted a blue hue. So I went onto illustrator to try it out. However, as you can see, it is too structured. I felt that hand-drawing it would look even better. So i stopped here and made a new drawing.

So here’s the one that i drew on. But the cons of this is that the tentacles ain’t as clear as the eyes. Also, one of the feedback that I got from Mimi was that since I’m going for a more ‘fun’ theme, I can extend out of the picture/canvas.

So yeahhh, i drew out of the lines and it looks nicer. But the feedback I received from friends are : Do you have to make the picture blue? Cause it doesn’t look like it fits the picture as a whole. So I changed the colour of the whole thing.

I tried black and white. But still doesn’t look as nice.

So finally, I decided to go for colours. Also, the feedback i got for this was to remove the frame around the photo and the extra space at the bottom. And I can change the colour of the building to be blue. (like previous designs)

So here it is. I agree that it looks much more put together compared to the rest. 



Here are some random works I came up with while I was forcefully trying to fit in with the blue theme before deciding on the coloured theme. (These are works that I rejected)

Time is precious, use it wisely. But I thought I could add the bear to signify that it is precious and you shouldn’t let others ‘steal’ it??? (I’m sorry if I don’t make sense)

So here’s after I remove the bear.

I was wanting to make this into something like a rib-cage, but somehow I didn’t like it so I scraped the idea.



Continuing on, here are my mockups for the front and back cover together with the layouts inside. The title/topic I was going for was “Jurong through my perspective”.


When Mimi saw this, her reaction wasn’t good at all. So of course I had to scrape the idea.

This is too messy and has nothing much to do with my main point. It is just all over and everywhere.

For this one, I couldn’t seem to fit any other elements from my zine layouts except for the tentacle monster. The rest just seems out of place.


A collage of the things that I will include in my zine. But just too messy and it looks bad.



These are my layouts for my zine.

This is a drawing of a sperm whale getting stuck in between the bridge. (Mimi said this works well)

This architecture at Jurong Central Park is supposed to represent a hen’s nest. However, it feels too forced and cute. So Mimi said it doesn’t work well with the monster that I drew.

Also, this is too forced and doesn’t look good T_T (It’s a last minute thing that i came up with……)

This is also too forced and the actual architecture cannot be seen clearly.

This has the same problem as the hen’s. Too cute.


Instead of thinking so much about this and that, why not just focus on the monster/cthulu/tentacle looking thing since that is my main focus. So I will need a story that revolves around this monster. Hence, all of these were made in vain :’) but it’s okay.

Leave a Reply