I decided to experiment with Chaotica first, given that it was intended to be a straight up upgrade to Apophosis.
First thing i noticed was the new Progressive Rendering engine that was implemented, which basically meant that
Chaotica would constantly render my image at increasing sample levels until i set a cap, or stopped the render.
This saves ALOT of time.
Next, since JWildfire does not support Apophosis custom plugins like Chaotica does, i decided to try some fractaling
with just Chaotica’s built in plugins. With that side, I experimented with each of them to try and have a better grasp on
how the various functions work.
Creates a starburst like effect.
Auger – Unpredictable, Starburst/nebula visual
Augur_sym – seems to split the fractal
Augur_Weight – Creates more “Waves”
Auger_Freq – Splits the fractal, creating waves, increasing it creates a cross as the lines converge, increasing further creates more loops withing the fractal
Auger_Scale – controls number of blurs lines created by augurfreq
Seems to take the original fractal and distort it.
Increase in value increases size and distortion
Image is a old test fractal. Notice how the bent function copies the fractal and distorts it, creating a wispy effect over the image.
Creates a whirl effect into the centre with increasing values.
Creates a spotlightish effect depending on pre-transform image.
Blob_low – Spread of the wave effect on the left side, increase value increase size of wave
Blob_High – Spread of the wave effect on the right side
Note: Blob_high and low cancel each other out – Can use both together to control wave size?
Blob_waves – number of waves
I will continue posting the rest of my documentation at a later date.
During my experimentation, i came up with a few interesting results as I was playing around in Chaotica.
Using the Spherical function along with some rotational transforms i managed to get a interesting image. After doing some fine tuning with the gamma and brightness settings, along with some additional transforms, I managed to get an image im quite happy with.
While browsing a documentation on recreating digital painting effects in fractal programs, i managed to create the following result:
Originally the image was in 1980 x 1080 resolution, but I decided to experiment if more distorted resolutions could be rendered effectively, in preparation for the final piece on the Media Wall. The resolution of this piece is at 2500 x 416.
My next step will be to finish documenting all of the known functions in Chaotica, and then start ideation on how the final piece will be. Also, i will probably try to do one more render in a more absurd resolution in my free time to see the limits of the program.