2D Colours. final assignment research part 1

Most of the information I’m sharing here would be mostly from Richard Keye’s videos on colour theory on youtube.  You can go take a look although they are pretty long…but they’re super insightful and it’s pretty cool finding that there is a different way of seeing colour.

Monochrome Harmony is basically a composition of only one hue. Keyes talked about how a hue can be defined as all the colors in a straight line from the center of the color wheel to the the rim of the wheel. This diagram shows examples of the choice of colours in monochrome harmony, each row of a different hue.

monochrome

analogous-harmony1

Analogous Harmony consists of colours from more than a single hue, but there has to be a condition that the  hues are neighbors on the color wheel.

complementary-harmony split-wheel-670x670

Complimentary harmony, on the left, as you can see is the harmony of colours that are totally opposite of each other in the colour wheel.

Split Complementary Harmony is related to complementary harmony. The difference is in that the complements are split, probably the reason for the name “split complementary”. So like in the diagram on the right, instead of red being complimented by green, red is complemented by green-blue and green-yellow.

I think it can be quite confusing to differentiate split complementary from complementary for me because I sometimes confuse hue with value.

DSC_1588 copy

This is a picture of a bowl of wanton mee that i had this morning.

I am guessing that this is more of a complementary harmony than a split harmony because I cannot spot green-blue with green-yellow in it. It is also mostly warm than cool.

However, I realise that if I took the veg away, it would definitely be a warm analogous harmony. But with the green veg in there, it does compliment the red.

Therefore, I would say that the effect of a complementary harmony seems to take most effect here. Although analogous harmony is also working in there, complementary is most outstanding. I might be wrong so don’t take my word for it haha just wanted to share my attempt to apply colour harmony in everyday life. ;D

triadic-harmony

Another harmony that wasn’t mentioned in our brief was the Triadic harmony. I find this one really interesting. The harmony is created by the composition of colours that are unrelated, as seen in the diagram: The colours of red, yellow and blue form an equal triangle in the sphere. Likewise with these other colour diagrams forming equal triangles in the colour sphere.

2de00812b419b660d3df4de07dfcdfe9

An example of Triadic harmony that I had in mind was the painting of The Fighting Temeraire by J. M. W. Turner.

the-fighting-temeraire

Really love that how when Triadic harmony is used successfully, it can produce such a glorious effect. Of course in the context of this painting the message isn’t a positive one, but the effect of the colours here really leaves such a strong impression on me. Keyes mentioned in the lecture notes that Triadic harmonies are usually used to make an idea digestible. So I wonder if i can use such a harmony in the idea for my final assignment , where i want to address the ideal and realistic parts of me. I will update the draft idea of my assignment on OSS in the second part of my research.