There are 2 posts filed in Pandora Revisited (this is page 1 of 1).
Kicking off sem 2 with a new project, we were tasked to manipulate a basic 3D object volume with operative verbs that we picked at random. The verbs that I had chosen was bend, notch and array.
Bend: shape or force something into a curve or angle
Notch: an indentation or incision on an edge or surface
Array: display or arrange things in a curved manner
Diving straight into the assignment, we started moulding our modules to represent all 3 verbs out of clay. Although it was fun to work with clay, my modules kept breaking after the clay was dry so here are 2 of my initial modules, one of which I used as the final model.
Working with the terms, bend and notch, both my modules consist of 3 separate parts varying in size that are bent and notched together when they are cradled.
In this first module, I took a more curved approach to the structure and hence although the modules are bent, they do not have a sharp angular edge. It turned out to somewhat resemble 3 ticks that are notched together at its curved edge. The module was sculpted with clay which was a great material to work with when creating curved shapes but is very fragile when dried because some of my other prototypes kept breaking.
In this second module, I created it out of blue foam because it was a much more angular structure and it was easier to achieve its smooth edges with the foam cutter.
Similar to my first module, this one was again made out of 3 parts, each that was bent and notched together. The difference here is that the sizes for each part were kept the same.
After creating the individual modules, the next step to this project was to create an ice tray out of multiples of our model.
DUPLICATING WITH LATEX
Moving to the next step which was to duplicate our modules, we had the option of either working with silicon or latex. It was up until this point where I decided that I would go with my second module design as the individual pieces could notch with one another and fit into my final verb, array. After analyzing both modules, I also realized that the second one would be easier to duplicate as there were no gaps in between them.
Since the design of my module was rather “step-like” as there were many levels and also a void in the middle, I thought that working with latex would be better since I could really cover all its edges.
After applying a coat of baby oil to my foam model, I began coating it in thin layers of latex. Many many hours and many many layers of latex after, I successfully created a latex mould out of my module.
After the latex mould was created, it was time for the duplication process to start with the use of plaster. After mixing the plaster powder with water, I poured it into the latex mould and waited 30-60mins for it to set before removing it.
After repeating this process for 6 times, I ended up with 3 successful and 3 unsuccessful outcomes.
Here are 3 of the plaster duplicates that came out alright. The surfaces were not the smoothest but they were still held together as one piece. The other 3, however, broke into pieces as I was taking it out of the mould. This occurred because the opening gap of my mould was quite small and hence I had to force the bottom parts out.
Ice Module Arrangements
After multiple attempts at different arrangements, I found that it was actually simpler to notch together just 2 modules instead of 3.
Ice tray – Isometric drawings
This is my final arrangement for the ice tray placed in a circular manner so as to have them in an array manner.
Pouring in the Silicon
Although I did have my duplicates made out of plaster, I decided to use foam for the final pouring of silicon for the ice tray instead because the details were a lot smoother and neater with blue foam.
Due to the very angular structure of my module, it was going to be challenging for me to remove the modules from the silicon after it dries. In an attempt to fix this problem, I stuck each module onto a rectangular base, in the hopes of it creating a wider opening gap.
To save the amount of silicon wasted, I placed a cylinder block in the middle in order to occupy more volume.
Unfortunately soon after the silicon was poured, two out of my five modules began to float up. The cause of this might because the glue used to stick the foam down hadn’t been dried enough yet, or maybe because the weight of the silicon between the voids in my module lifted them up. I was glad that I still had 3 other modules to rely on 🙂
Coming back to my silicone mould a week after it was poured, it was strangely still not completely dried and hence I left it for almost another week. Unfortunately, it still wasn’t completely dry, especially the areas around my modules.
Nonetheless, I proceeded to try making some ice.
I would say that the overall structure of the module turned out pretty well except that some edges started to curve as it melted. During this first round, no silicon was transferred onto the ice. However, during my second round, the non-dry silicon transferred onto the ice cubes and hence it melted a lot quicker as I tried to wipe it off.
Despite some rather tedious process this project entails, I had a lot of fun throughout it all and I worked with mediums like silicon, latex and plaster which I have never experimented with before 🙂 A lot of trial and error went into this project which definitely taught me about thinking ahead for the success of future procedures.