It was finally the day that we would ink out tote bags with our designs!
The motion of the printing had to be smooth, correctly paced and done in one swift motion.
At first we tried out our designs on a newsprint paper to see how well it turned out! I was happy that my lines came out as ‘crisp’ lines.
This was the outcome of my final tote bag! Even though it took more than one time to get it, eventually i was happy that the tote bag designs came out nicely.
On one of my failed attempts, half of the designs did not appear onto the tote bag because i did not use enough strength.
Hence, we tried to overlay the silkscreen onto the design to save the design, but it had a blurred effect and i did not use it as my final tote bag in the end.
Another of my failed attempts, the black ink did not get printed onto some parts of my designs, so i decided to try and use a makeshift paintbrush to cover the black areas of my designs.
Ultimately i feel that it is quite scary to print it onto the tote bag itself as you would not know how it might turn out, too much strength and there will be too much ink, too little and the design would not appear.
Also, the material of the tote bag matters too. The sample tote bag i bought was from MUJI which was of a thinner material as compared to the one provided by the school. Hence, more strength is needed for the school tote as compared to the one from MUJI.
Overall I really enjoyed this project and i am proud of how my designs came out in the end and how fun it is to use a silkscreen!