I did some proper brainstorming this time, and explored 4 topics :
- A tree
Thinking of point of views is not as easy as you think. It requires creativity to really think outside the box rather than just state obvious point of views. Some topics really stumped me- for instance the subject of a tree. Somehow it was really difficult to think of interesting perspectives. I really liked Jie Lin’s take on the topic of ghosts- specifically one line ” A book from the point of view of a tree is a ghost”. I have to applaud her for that one, it’s witty and creative.
Please click on the images for a better view.
It was by the time I got to beauty that I realised the POV came more naturally to me than the others. I came up with a few ideas which I showed to Joy.
- Joy felt that was most potential in the topic of ‘Beauty’ (maybe because I had more POVS for that?). I asked her about choosing ‘Beauty’ VS ‘Ugly’, and she recommended that I did ‘ Beauty’ instead, with the reasoning that it’s harder to agree that something is ugly. I couldn’t really digest what she was saying haha, but that was what I took away from it. She suggested that I could instead imply ugly in beauty.
- I told her that I was a bit stuck in choosing the 6 POVS to move forward and she gave me an different perspective. She pointed out that my POVs varied from ‘Process’ to ‘Completion’. For instance, “Beauty from the POV of a mother is a baby growing inside of her” VS “Beauty from the POV of Hitler is blue eyes, blond hair and fair skin.” She also suggested that I explore the various scales and the extent of beauty- how some is less beautiful than the other- and how to represent that.
- Last of all, she asked me how I wanted to execute my solutions. I told her that I was thinking of doing some illustrations because I wanted to move away from merely doing paper cutting. I still want to do collage, since I haven’t done that before, but I’d like to try incorporating collage with some of my illustrations. I’m not very confident at drawing things, but I’ll just attempt it anyways.
- Choose 6 POVs
- Solidify concept
- Research on reference artists for illustrations. Re-consider style
- Prepare sketches for group consultation next week so classmates can actually see and provide feedback