Appliqué is a needlework technique where smaller pieces of fabric or other materials are sewn unto a larger piece to form a picture or pattern.
- Sewing machine
- Sewing pins
- Scraps of fabric, felt and leather, beads, etc
- Arrange the materials on the base fabric and secure with sewing pins
- Stitch the materials unto the fabric using the sewing machine
- Using the zig-zag stitch prevents unravelling
- This technique is decorative and can be used on wearables, furnishings, and even on paper
- It can be hand or machine sewn
This technique reminds me of decoupage where the surface is built up through the addition of interesting materials, resulting in a meaningful piece of work even if the elements are distinctly different. Also, the stitches play a role in the final appearance!