I chose to use my Project 3: Ego works for this zine, and all of the pieces were achieved using watercolours on paper. Since the pieces have a hand painted, organic style to them, I found that many ways of arrangement do not work for this; the pages just looked too cluttered. So instead of going for something elaborate and fancy, I decided to go the other way: simple and elegant. With only one (maximum two) pieces per page, I’ve managed to allow the art to stand out against the white background.
Another problem I encountered was the readability of the text bodies in my zine.
For some reason, it looked great to me in InDesign, but printed out spotted and thin. I thought this was just because my printer is bad, but the good colour printer also showed this result.
I changed the font opacity and thickness and the problem was quickly solved.
I’m so glad we got the chance to learn some functional skills like using InDesign to make a zine. I never even knew about zines until this project, and this opened up a whole different world for me. So many uses for zines!
I’m also really appreciative of you, Shirley, and my classmates who made lessons super duper fun and happy 🙂 hope to see you guys in the next sem and beyond! 😀