Journey in Progress: WIP so far

After I finalized my idea:

Initially I considered between arranging my feet neatly…IMAG3903

Or not so neatly (naturally) IMAG3896

One has the benefit of consistency, while the other, although the positions are not always flattering, has the benefit of adding more character to my work.

In the end I decided on the latter because as the work will only last a short week, I think the character might be more important than the consistency, which is already present by the system.

Fast forward a week, putting the photos together:

The process involves a lot of stress eating and literally endless technical difficulties. Small rant: Murphy’s Law and Everything I touch dies.

… but I shan’t go too much into that >A<

Oh one of the non-technical difficulties though, was to work through the hundreds and hundreds of photos I had through the week. It was decidedly challenging because not only must I sieve out the ones not meant for the project (Some of them are surprisingly similar), I have to match the photos of the feet to the photos of the things in front of me… And no, due to human error, not all of them match accurately by the end of the week, I had to remove 2-3 photos that couldn’t find the other half of the “pair” ><.

Then, a lot of my “research” involves more of the technical aspects of using premiere than any artists references.

One of the first things I did was look up how to create split screen.Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 8.37.55 PM Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 9.58.02 PM These are my split screen try outs in the orientations I initially planned, I was not sure of the orientations so I had both vertical and horizontal photos initially.

I was more inclined towards the latter (With ideally better cropping). but yes in hind sight it was weird and what was I thinking.

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 10.20.08 PM

Thats more like it. This was an orientation I only thought of while looking for the split screen tutorial.

I also added some transitions, which was simply the fading effect. I did try most if not all the transitions readily available, but that was still the most effective one.

Link to WIP video

(I tried to download it from google drive 5 times and it failed. Dropbox also failed. And the mac doesn’t like my external drive.)>

By this point I had the general idea that I would be exploring the “flow” in life… which given my hourly photos, should be pretty consistent right.

But the consistent pacing is quite boring. Or at least not engaging to the viewers at all. I wasn’t quite sure what to do about that until some advice by the prof and classmates ^w^

I have been changing the pacing of some of the photos. My video will be aiming to portray how life is experienced instead of the dull consistency at which the photos are taken.

I was also a bit stumped by the audio to incorporate into the video. Initially I considered poetry (because I love slam poetry…but that’s a bias) or narration. But I did not know what poetry nor narration could be suitable for this… I am quite unaccustomed to these kind of experimental videos haha >A<

Then I considered instrumentals… which would be easier to fit I think. I might still consider adding that at some points… it might be atmospheric but it will largely depend on my selection of them ><”

Finally, prof recommended ambient sounds! Ah… it’s… not something I considered initially, but right now I have been recording some sounds and it might actually work ^^

Let’s see how far these experimentation can take me! ^^

2 thoughts on “Journey in Progress: WIP so far”

1. Yo Pang Xin!
    I really love your idea and the split screen effect! It gives a lot more context to your journey (beyond just seeing your toes hehe)
    Currently your images are fading in and out of one another and somehow it looks a bit like those slideshows you see on Youtube (like those lyric videos with the pretty slideshow backgrounds)- I’m not sure if that’s the idea you were going for but maybe try experimenting with the image transition more? 😀 Looking forward to your final^ ^

2. Hey there! Good job with your work, given you were really worried it wouldn’t be any good or interesting. It seems to be coming out decently. Do carry on and yeah, like Lea said, some experimentation or even simply cutting to the next one but changing the pace of change of photos every now and then might work, depending on the subject matter. Like you can slow down when you’re doing something more interesting in the shots and things like that. Otherwise, have a blast!