Zine: Inspirations and Initial exploration

I had some idea of what a Zine is before this project, but mostly from the poets (?) on Tumblr, so I think they might be my biggest inspiration for this project.

I also looked around a bit on Pinterest, and I’m sure I picked up one or two ideas along the way, although there wasn’t anything particularly specific. So.

Moving straight to exploration~

I was a bit indecisive about which of my previous assignments to use because since the Ego project, the Typographic portrait and POV, I like aspects of all of them and wanted to combine them, but the styles are so drastically different I have some difficulties…

These are some of my initial attempts:try lum-mintry div-min

I’m trying to mix my Typographic portrait and POV object through changing the blend mode. It was interesting, but soon became apparent that it was not the most effective way to go about my zine, since I was still quite uncertain about what my Zine will be thematically.

That was around the time of the first consult, and instead of creating so much patterns and trying to merge my different works, Prof pointed out I have enough materials to work with just from my POV project..

More experimentation… They were all pretty dark, and while I was certain I wanted to include some words in my zine, at this point I wasn’t sure how…

Plus, unless I am downright doing horror, I did not want to generate any artwork that is plain dark or negative. I realize the mostly monochromatic color scheme possibly resulted from my limiting my experimentation to the line drawings instead of the colored ones.

While the line drawings showcase more details and intricacies, I couldn’t help being drawn to the colors from the watercolor completed work as well. This was when my work took a turn into a lighter, “pastel” direction.

And below are the exact sequence in which the pages were generated..

Moving onto test prints in the next post~

Zine: Test Prints

My main purpose of doing the test prints were to explore the formatting of the pages. Firstly because I was not very good at InDesign…

In my sleep deprived mind that night, for some reason I thought formatting on Microsoft word might be a good solution to removing the borders from the printed images… (It wasn’t. which is why I did not do that for my final… @A@)

And the other reason was because I discovered I have an extra page, so I was trying to figure out how to fit it in nicely.

I did consider simply removing or adding 2 more pages to resolve the problem, but it was not an ideal solution because I felt the content of my zine was “just right” the way it was, and it would not be appropriate to delete or add more content just for the practicalities…

So the two solutions I tried was to stick the extra page in (so that it is at least not a loose leaf, or to print it together with another page and fold it like a pop out card – this inspiration came from videos I saw online recently.

IMAG6515__1461556176_155.69.161.30

It was perhaps a cool idea, but in the end I opt for simply sticking the page. This was because I did not like the effect of the folding lines on the pages…

Simply sticking the pages does make the middle pages thicker though, and it was perhaps still not the most perfect solution…

The 2 test prints together with my final!IMAG6517__1461556193_155.69.161.30