Assignment 1: Picture Story – Curating Self

Task 1: Me

Who am I?

1-1

1-2

1-3

I am an immensely private person – though I long to be understood, I enjoy coming across as mysterious as well. Despite constantly thirsting for adventure, I frequently find myself not daring enough to venture, choosing instead, to observe the outside world from the comfort of my safe haven. I guess I’m just a typical wallflower. And perhaps, a huge mass of walking contradiction.

Task 2: Object and Representation of Self

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies; the man who never reads lives only one.”

2-1

The object that I have chosen is a book simply because I love to read. Books are, in essence, free travel, wise mentors and the most constant of friends. I can go places, learn lessons and meet people with them.

2-2

When life gets too overwhelming, books transform into portals, providing me with a temporary escape to the fictional world for a breather. They are, in other words, my source of comfort.

2-3

Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll is one of my favourite books.

Task 3: My World

“People are like teabags. You never know how strong they are until you put them in hot water.”

3-1

Seeing as the object that I have chosen is a book, it must come as no surprise at all that my choice of venue is a library. Not just any library, however, but specifically the one in Singapore Polytechnic.

We all know that SP is the first polytechnic in Singapore. Thus, most of its architecture is extremely old, if not ancient. The main library is no exception. It is filled with nostalgia – generations of students have came and went, new books have been mixed in with their old counterparts, only to become aged themselves as the years go by. The library’s quaintness is precisely what draws me to it.

3-2

This is the stairway leading to the science corner of the library, which is where I used to belong. Evidently, it isn’t the happiest place to pass by every day. I’m pretty sure the school librarians have realized that too, for various motivational posters have been put up along the stairway, perhaps in hopes of lifting students’ morale. The poster featured here is my absolute favourite, and I can’t help but wonder, how many students had it motivated throughout the years?

3-3

This is the design and architecture level, the newest part of SP library and whose renovations were only completed during my final year in school. I was always super excited to visit this space because as a Science student then, I have always felt like a rebel whenever I came here to browse the artsy books. I guess it was this place that marked my transition from the Sciences to the Arts. That is why I love SP library.

4 comments

1. I like the play in perspective and point of view in task 1. The different angles does help to tell the your story better. I also love your minimalist photography in task 2, it really highlights the joy you find in reading.

2. I personally love the alignment of your photographs in class where a close up of you is featured right in the middle. I feel that it really connects with the entire theme of introducing ourselves. I love the overall colors of your photos as well.

3. I like how you played around with the environment for the first task. It gives me the feel that you are a very private person yet I can see the playful side of you, In your task 3, I also can see the knowledgable side of you.

4. Your third set of images caught my attention due to the familiarity of the place. I used to study in Singapore Polytechnic as well! I like the fact that you placed an image of the staircase in between the Science and Arts corner of the library. The reverse direction of the staircase on the left, which seem to not flow to the next image, speaks of change to me. A change from studying Science before to Design today is also something I can relate to. (: