in Process

Week 5: Needle Felting and Applique

What is Felting:

Felt is textile material produced through condensing and pressing fibers together. Felt comes in various forms, such as wool, or synthetic fibers such as acyrlics and rayon.

Materials needed: Wool (natural fibers), warm water with soap, felting needles, flat sponge, plastic to cover the table

How it’s done:

Wet felting

Step 1: Wet wool with soap water and arrange it on the table

Step 2: Rub and mould the wool until it becomes hardened and thicker

Step 3: Once you’re satisfied with the shape, leave it to dry

Dry felting

Step 1: Arrange wool on the table, not forgetting to wet it with warm soap water

Step 2: Poke wool with felting needles until hardened

Step 3: Once you’re satisfied with the shape, leave it to dry

Applications:

Personal reflection: I personally didn’t enjoy felting as much as the other techniques as it was time consuming and tiring! Nonetheless, I like the bracelet I made. Upon researching further, I found that felting can create really beautiful patterns and textures. Maybe I gave up too soon!

___________________

What is Applique: Applique is an ornamental needlework in which pieces of fabric are sewn or stuck on to a larger piece to form a picture or pattern.

Materials needed: Fabrics (any type), sewing machine, threads, sewing pins

How it’s done:

Step 1: Arrange fabrics onto the base surface fabric. Add pins to secure the two fabrics.

Step 2: Use the sewing machine to stitch the fabric, carefully “outlining” the the shape of the top fabric using a zig zag pattern

Step 3: Stop when the zig zag pattern completely connects around the top fabric

Trial 1

Trial 2

Applications: 

Personal reflection: Applique was quite a tough technique for me as I am not well versed with the sewing machine. I had trouble getting the zig zags synchronised throughout, somehow they keep moving wider apart. However, I’m glad with much persistence, my second trial turned out much better! It takes a little bit of getting used to the sewing machine. This technique is widely used in fashion and in household furnitures and I feel that it can create a good eye catching contrast, using fabrics or non-fabrics.