in Research

2D Typography Progress (1)

To be completely honest, I have a bad habit of being very fickle-minded.

As such, my ideas tend to change very frequently, and the updates I post weekly might not be the most up-to-date version of my plans!

Listed below are all the traits I came up with:

1. More than meets the eye
  2. Outgoing Introvert
  3. Meticulous but easily distracted / Fickle-minded
  4. Work in progress
  5. Food monster
  6. Optimistic / positive outlook
  7. Hoarder
  8. Procrastinator
  9. Coffee Lover
  10. Different / Non-basic

thumb_IMG_1953_1024

Most of my ideas were very 3D, and Joy mentioned rethinking these ideas from the point of a editor.

After the consultation, I reorganised my thoughts, and came up with some additional ideas:

Trait: More than meets the eye/shy

I initially attempted to create 3D letters from different materials. I tried to create lightly tinted letters that would look translucent at first glance, and I wanted to mimic the iridescent sheen bubbles have. The goal was to bluff viewers into thinking the letters were almost transparent, and they would only realise how colourful/dynamic the letters were upon closer inspection. The materials I used in the image above are clear PVC, paper and tracing paper. During the experiment, I realised finding the right material was a challenge.

While I am still exploring the idea and thinking of how to perhaps transfer it into photoshop or ai, I came up with an alternative plan:

Russian Dolls!

Russian dolls often have a lot of hidden layers and open up to reveal multiple smaller dolls inside. I thought this would be a good representation of how you don’t see the many layers to my personality unless you spend more time with me, and you never know when you’re going to discover another part of me. This is something I’ve yet to try, so i’ll be updating soon!

Trait: Different / Non-basic

Basic is a term used to describe people who are very mainstream – they listen to whatever’s popular, eat whatever’s popular, follow the latest fad, etc, etc. I’d like to think of myself as someone who doesn’t necessarily follow this lifestyle, and I try as much as possible to maintain my individuality.

As such, I thought of how to convey the idea of breaking out of the mould.

punch-out-model-art-kits

The picture above shows some toy model kits – something that follows preset measurements and is mass produced. I thought it would be a good idea to illustrate myself breaking out of it!

Trait: Food Monster

I wanted to revisit the game concept I used for the “Hello my name is” card, and thought of pac-man.

Pac-man

I thought this would be much more relatable since it’s a game everyone is familiar with, and I could illustrate the food that pac man eats!

That’s all for now, but I’ll be sure to update this space once I have more concrete ideas!