Week 8 – Favourite Object in ACM

My favourite object from ACM would be the Osa Osa. I was immediately drawn to it when I first spotted it sitting in the dark with a spotlight shining atop from it. As we studied Southeast Asian Art History last semester, I got really interested when we got to the topic of furnitures or artefacts made for the dead. I still remember researching on Tana Toraja, a tribe that was well known for their culture of death, going through great lengths in organising rituals, processions and funeral for the dead. Even after death, the deceased were remembered by having wooden effigies called “tau taus” created after them.

Here are the pictures I’ve taken at the museum:

IMG_1595IMG_1593 IMG_1594

I like the way it was being presented, having a spotlight shone from directly above and especially with the huge backdrop at the back, it gives us a sense of the environment where the stone seat was located at. For a moment I could somewhat imagine being in that place and how important ancestors were to the people living in Nias Island. Being able to finally see an artefact that was discussed during art history lectures in its original form was such a privilege!

Source: http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/1988.125.1

Author: Alicia Ho

no