in Journal, Research

Assignment 2 “Nursery Rhyme” – Working and rejected compositions

The cow jumped over the moon

The cow jumped over the moon

This was my initial composition before more design principles were implemented

I tried to juxtapose the scale of the moon to the globe, and to stack the cows while varying size and opacity to suggest hierarchy but I felt that it was too literal an interpretation of the nursery rhyme which made it less interesting and dynamic.

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.

For this composition, I tried to play around with the idea of “living in a shoe”  – thus the stacking of shoes to create a house where the old woman lived. Personally, I like this interpretation of the nursery rhyme but I felt that the composition was too static and boring so I decided not to use it.

The little dog laughed, to see such sport

This was my initial concept for this line of the nursery rhyme – I went with a more comic book/graphic novel-esque presentation by using a dominant “speaking figure”, lines pointing out from the figure’s mouth to indicate speech or movement.The little devil was alliterated to point outwards to indicate fun or mischief, and 2 rubber duckies were also put together to create a little bow tie for the dog. However , I felt that this composition was too simplistic so I decided not to use it.