2D_Assignment01_Typography_WIP

The assignment has been updated halfway through until the deadline.

From 6 panels, we now only have to do 4. Hence, out of the 6 chosen panels initially, 2 were eliminated and the 4 chosen theme are:

1. Simple
  2. Cyclist
  3. Risk taker
  4. Clear minded

I will now show the WIP for each individual theme,

Simple

simple_wip_4

To create the ‘simple’ feel for my typography, I have decided to use this letter ‘O’ to recreate, ‘J’, ‘e’ and ‘L’. Showing the simplicity and ability to use the letter ‘O’ to create my name, ‘Joel’ For this typography after several consultations.

simple_wip_1

By using the eraser tool in photoshop, I erase essential parts of the letter ‘O’ to get the rest of the letter after aligning them together in photoshop. However, the letter ‘e’ needs more editing. Hence, I decided to use the function of liquify to create the letter ‘e’.

simple_wip_3

simple_wip_2

I used the merge/smerge tool location at the top left corner of the windows popup after clicking liquify. I pushed the upper side of the ‘e’ inwards to make it look like the letter ‘e’.

simple_wip_5

And this is the layers that I have used to create the theme ‘simple’. The method used for ‘simple’ totally suits the theme as it was rather simple to create this effect.

Cyclist

Using bicycle chain from my old bike, I used it to create my name for the typography. I did it on the road (tarmac) to enhance the ‘cycling on the road’ feel and also took the photos at night because I usually cycle at night. I tried out different lighting to create a dramatic look and feel to it with a usb rechargable bicycle front white light.

cyclist_typo

Test out at home how to use the bike chain to form my name before going out to shoot.

ff1aadd ll

kk ii 2 gg ee

Testing different angles of shadow being casted by the bicycle light before chosen the final image. (will be touching up in photoshop for better overall and final look)

Risk taker

ms1 ms2 ms3

Using ‘UHU’ glue to stick the match stick onto the wooden A5 board 1 by 1. Eventually lighting each alphabet up to get the burnt matchstick look for ‘risk taker’.

One about this theme is while I lighted each alphabets up, I notice the fire was not what I have expected. It was a soft smooth and nice looking slow burning fire with little bit of bluish non luminous fire.

However, it was too late because I have already lighted all of them up. But I have decided to recreate the fire effect/look in photoshop.

fire1 fire2

Clear minded

To fully portray ‘clear minded’ I strongly believe that ice and water can used to represent ‘clear minded’ as they are linked to purity.

Hence, I decided to use acrylic as my medium and this is how I did it:

20160213_001058

I bought this bag of acrylic beads from art friend. This will be used for melting later on.

20160213_001106

Using aluminium foils, I create molds for each the letter that I will be using. These molds will contain the acrylics beads when I heat them to liquid state. Hence, when cooled, they will harden and take the shape of the mold. (the letter of my name)

20160213_001054

There, this image show the mold for letter, ‘O’ and ‘L’. The container that ‘L’ is in will be used later on for the final look. Individual letters will be contain in it, that will be filled with water.

20160213_150546

Acrylic beads placed in molds ready to be heated up.

20160213_150558

And this will be used to melt the beads.

20160213_150941

Waiting for the beads to melt…

20160213_150554

Waiting for the acrylics to cool and harden after melted and taking the shape of the mold. (this letter ‘l’ is a test try)

20160213_150757

After cooling down, the aluminium foil are then removed. This is what I get. Icy look effect.

20160213_161622

Repeat process for individual alphabets. *Removing the aluminium foils are really hard, it all sticks to the acrylic*

Extra research and test for other theme before being scraped,

20160125_225125 20160125_225120 messy_typo

Tried using coffee to create the theme ‘messy’ for my typography portrait.

End result of each theme will be shown on final post. 😀