Week 5: Research Critique: Biometrics

As for the topic ” Art Forms in Nature” Biomimicry, Some researches on the Ernst Haeckel illustrations, these are some pictures inspired me and gave me some ideas for the sketches. I will focus on the different parts of flowers and shells, will look at these in the micro ways.

0995603ffbe73a30093dea4d1bdfdb09   ernst_haeckel_clip_image001  8d84148808b2c8db4a695edccef6e852

b864d3951459fa586ee5b61eba604541 4918fefa0d87f01754305b240c8d1136

Apart from that, as I did the research on the nature flower, the Lycorisradiata  inspired me. I found it has very unique and elegant appearance, so I will use this as reference idea.

005msmfdgy1fces00ykzqj30b40got9j

005msmfdgy1fces00zqyrj30990dwt9g

005msmfdgy1fces0161s1j30bu0hswf7

005msmfdgy1fces018zpkj30990dwjsh

005msmfdgy1fces01gistj30bu0hsjt3

One of the special things about this flower is that the flower and the leaves will not show on the same time. Hence, there is a legend for Lycorisradiata.

Since these scarlet flowers usually bloom near cemeteries around the autumnal equinox , they are described in Chinese and Japanese translations of the Lotus Sutra as ominous flowers that grow in Hell , or Huángquán and guide the dead into the next reincarnation.

Some legends have it that when you see someone that you may never meet again, these flowers, also called red spider lilies or corpse flowers, would bloom along the path. Perhaps because of these sorrowful legends, Japanese people often used these flowers in funerals . The popular Japanese name Higanbana for Lycoris radiata literally means higan flower, decorate and enjoyable, flower of  afterlife  in gokuraku jyōdo .

Moreover, for the current fashion trends, fashion shows have much different compare to the past, last year there were tech and digital launches spanning wearables, mixed reality and chatbots fashion showed across New York, London, Milan and Paris. 

Case 1:

show-2-1200x800

Intel brought wearable technology to Paris Fashion Week this season via a partnership with longtime fashion-tech proponent: Hussein Chalayan. As models walked the runway, visual projections showcased their stress levels on the wall beside them, via biofeedback being sent from the connected accessories they were wearing.

Glasses powered by the Intel Curie module gathered biometric data from three sensors, before a belt then translated that into the visualizations displayed. The idea was to aid in the awareness and proactive management of stress.

Case 2:

960x0

The Chanel show in Paris is often a go-to for elaborate set designs, and this season was no different as a series of data storage units acted as backdrop for the spring/summer 2017 collection. Multicoloured wires sprung from the circuit boards displayed,and were seen replicated in both the invitation to the show – which saw the interlocking C’s formed from cables – as well as some of the detail in the clothing line itself. The flashing green lights from the supercomputer were mirrored in LEDs that appeared on some of the brand’s handbags, and two robot-dressed models even opened the show.

The entire move could have been a nod to our increasingly digital, data-led lives, or indeed the very notion of Chanel becoming more data-focused itself as it finally moves to launch e-commerce in the future.