4D II Assignment 2 : Sound and Image

Task 2: To recreate sounds for short film — Post-It Love. 
Original Film:

The initial genre of the Post-It love film is Romance + Comedy. (Above).

I have changed this short film to the genre Thriller + Horror, by editing the sound and sequence in the film.

The genre is mainly a Psychological Thriller.
There is a ‘dissolving sense of reality’, moral ambiguity, mysterious and obsessive character in this short film that I have re-created and that is the female protagonist.

I portrayed her to be mysterious, obsessive, creepy and weird yet shy at the same time as despite her watchful eye and continual actions/effort to chase him, she does not want to reveal herself to him. (Seen by her secretive actions/ways in the film.)

I hope to create a sense of discomfort to my viewers through this psychological thriller genre. I did this through the watchful eye of the female protagonist as a stalker and leaving some sense of uncertainty over her motives and how she view or do things.

Re-created Film Summary:

The opening scene started off with a close up of the female protagonist’s face.

• To show what she is watching him
  • To show her obsession over him
  • Set the mood according to the genre

Images of the office desk and photocopying machine, as well as the ambient sound of an office were introduced after.

• To convey that the setting is in the office

In the film, the female protagonist started off her action with a surprise smile in a file as a self introduction. (Her face appears after to match her face to the the smiley face she made in the file.)

She later confessed her love for the male protagonist with a Heart on the toilet door which made her seem creepy as what was she doing in a male’s toilet?
(Her face appears after with a grin as a reaction to her success in confessing her ‘love’ for him.)

Lastly, the film ended off with a flower scene. This is to show her continual intentions to ‘keep an eye’ and chase him.

The female protagonist is keeping a watchful eye on him throughout the entire film and constantly thinking of her next move to ‘chase/surprise’ him.

Note:

• (Colour Grading)
    There is a transition of colour to set the moods in the film.
    A darker and more blue-ish tone to the scene when the female protagonist is present. (spooky,mysterious) & a more vibrant and saturated tone whenever she is not in the scene. (warm, cozy, safe)
  • (Reverse/Slo-mo)
  • (Transitions using film dissolve)

Sound:

-There is a consistency of background music throughout.

• The music was introduced right in the beginning with the female protagonist’s close up face. This sets as a constant reminder of her presence and her watchful eye on the male protagonist throughout the film.

-Lowpass audio effect was used to make the music sound like it is coming from a further away distance. This adds to the female protagonist’s mysterious and creepy presence lingering with him everywhere he go.

-The music is edited to create some suspense (pause) and tention (louder in volume) too.

-Introduction sounds also includes the sound of the photocopying machine, flipping of paper and office ambient to convey that the setting is in the office.

-The sound effect of:

• Toilet Flush
  • Footsteps
  • Paper and Photocopy Machine
  • Sitting on Chair
  • Rolling Chair
  • Switch
  • Swinging and Closing of Door

Will help my viewers to relate to the sounds and tell the story better through the sounds in the film.

There were a lot of trail and errors and happy accidents in the process of recreating this short film. It was fun learning and discovering new things in the process.

I hope that my edit of sounds and images(scenes) have effectively changed the genre and tell a different story from the original ‘Post-It Love’ short film.

Re-created Film:

References: 

Below you will find a movie trailer that is similar to my re-creation of ‘Post-It Love’ short film.

The genre of the movie below is also a psychological thriller. The male protagonist is seen to be following this female protagonist everywhere she go, leaving her little surprises once in a while too.

Another trailer reference below, I like how this trailer started off with a voice over whisper of a girl. Accompanied with the ‘tail-gating’ moving scenes, it feels like she is following the men in the scene. Portraying her to be creepy and odd, like her presence is present around the men through the use of her voice over. This is similar to the use of the same music background music I have used in my re-created film, where I used the music as her presence lingering around the male protagonist throughout the film.

1 comment for “4D II Assignment 2 : Sound and Image