Point of View – FINAL

Here are my 3 pairs/sets of ‘David’s spectacles’ for presentation!!! Now my viewers could really put on his glasses and see through his lens! cool

The first pair concentrates on David’s FEAR, followed by his HOBBY and then his favourite FOOD.

Photo 17-3-16, 1 59 18 PM (2)

I am going to to let my viewers peer through a different set of eyes, and that is my bug brother’s eyes! His name is David and he is a special child with down syndrome. I will be taking them them through David’s Point of Views, AKA, the point of views of people with special needs.

The coloured areas within the ‘torn paper’ compositions are his POVs (colourful and vibrant), in contrast to how we see things as it is outside the ‘torn paper’ compositions (dull and muddy). The ‘torn paper’ compositions were coloured by him. I thought that this would add further meaning to my work as he colours what he sees. David’s hands were coloured in my work as well. This is done so that my viewers can better identify which hand belong to my brother’s.

Photo 17-3-16, 7 56 43 AM

A cockroach from the point of view of David is a time bomb. This is due to the fact that he does not know when everyone will flee in all directions when a cockroach decides to fly or come nearer. Actually, he is not afraid of the cockroach itself, but sees it as a time bomb because of the action people around him reacted to it when seen one. He learnt to react the same way as others as he thought that it is the right thing to do. The hands in the composition shows that someone is guiding him to run like everyone else.

Photo 17-3-16, 7 56 53 AM

But in fact, bushes are his greatest fear. Hence, bushes from the point of view of David are evil forces. I have used grabbing hands and evil eyes to portray that. David is really afraid when bushes are near him. He is especially afraid of long, weird or textured leaves from the bushes and would avoid physical contact with them. The hands in the composition are David’s hands and he is trying to shield himself from getting ‘harmed’ by those evil forces and a little of pushing them away (avoidance) concurrently.

Photo 17-3-16, 7 57 12 AM

A shopping mall from the point of view of David is the dance floor. Music is often played in shopping malls and each shop also plays their own individual music in their store. Thus, he treats the place as his dance floor. He loves to dance in public and it is also his hobby! His hands in the composition shows that he is having a good time grooving in the mall.

Photo 17-3-16, 7 57 19 AM

Therefore naturally, the radio is an important item to him. An iphone from the point of view of David is a radio. He brings his radio almost everywhere he go and so the setting of choice was important to show that attachment he has with his radio. Hence, the composition above depicts a toilet setting, a place people would not usually bring things into.

Photo 17-3-16, 7 57 29 AM

Pocket money from the point of view of David is a packet of tissue paper. My brother would ask my mum for a packet of tissue paper each morning before he leaves for workshop. Similarly, this reminds me of my childhood where my mum would give me my pocket money ($1.50) for school in primary school. This point of view somewhat shows the simplicity seen in David. An idea was to show both indoor and outdoor settings in my composition just so that I can portray that moment before David leaves for workshop. To depicted that through the floor texture and material with marble flooring as indoor and planks as outdoor setting. The composition shows David’s hands receiving his packet of tissue paper for the day!

Photo 17-3-16, 7 57 40 AM

Tissue paper is important and essential as he loves eating/food just like me! Birthday cake from the point of view of David are chicken drumsticks. Chicken drumstick is his favourite food and eating food he loves calls for a celebration already. He does not require a cake to celebrate and besides, he does not like eating sweet things. The choice of colour in the ‘torn paper’ composition were deliberate. The colours red and yellow were suppose to remind my  viewers of KFC and Macdonalds subtly.

I have come to the end of this project! It was really a meaningful one to me. This was the first time my brother helped me with my ‘homework’ and I had fun doing this with him. I know he had some fun himself as well although it became a little of a chore to him towards the final composition haha! I hold this project close to my heart! David is truly special. He is capable of bringing smiles to people around him with his outgoing personality. He is able to touch the hearts of people, making a difference in this world in his own way. Below is a photograph of him with a spread of his favourite food during his birthday last year!   

Photo 19-3-16, 5 59 56 AM

Thank you for reading! Thank you Joy for your great suggestions during the developing process of this project too!