Colours – Research and Process

Starting off with research, many examples were looked at to see how simple and basic shapes can be used well to form parts of a poster.

These acted as inspirations for my own value event poster as I felt that using shapes that were able to show a sense of movement were more dynamic and engaging.

Then I brainstormed for values that a respected person should have.

Initially, the value decided upon was Drive. Drive felt dynamic and was a quality about how someone with drive tries to progress and move towards a goal, which is in line with the concept of “movement”.

With a value in mind, I started on some sketches.

Ultimately, I decided on the arrows on the far right. They showed a sense of movement and had converging lines towards the tip.

A consultation also happened after this stage, where I learnt how the design element can be utilised to form a more complete artwork. With two different kinds of layout as shown below, I thought that the design on the left was more focused and intense while the other on the right was more positive and enjoyable. After much consideration, I ended up going with the latter as it seems more fun and interesting to work on.

Then, I also decided to change up the value to Enthusiasm, which was a varied and more upbeat version of Drive. Enthusiasm seems to fit with the curvy positive feeling lines more.

Next, it was time to try digitising the poster using Adobe Illustrator.
I ended up with a few variations as shown below:

In these first drafts, the design element was only used sparingly as a part of the poster design. After an online consultation and much thought, I also realised that these drafts were lacking in many areas. The colours of the background were dull. While they did make the elements pop a little, the posters felt heavy and not of an enthusiastic quality. The Typeface used were “Playlist” (script font) and Century Gothic. which are not as compatible with the graphics. To read more on fonts, scroll down to this section. Hence, the consultation ended with a new idea of placing more of the design element (arrows) in different directions to form more of a pattern.

With these new thoughts in mind, I worked on an updated draft.

This colour scheme was a triadic colour palette consisting of yellow, blue and red. Aside from this version, I also decided to try out a purple-ish tone as the background by using more of a complementary colour palette.

As I worked on the new draft, I thought of various other new questions.
Should the arrows be filled with a background or have no fill?
I thought that without fill made the background pop more while with fill makes arrows pop more. Hence, I decided that the arrows were the main design elements and went with fill.
Fonts and my thoughts on some of the fonts that were explored
Century Gothic: thinner lines like the arrows, but less energetic feeling (contrast to visual)
Amaranth: more energetic feeling but thicker lines (contrast to visual)
Playlist: fun font but is it too much?
Finally, I went with Amaranth and kept the font to a normal weight so that the lines were less thick to still be compatible with the visuals.
Are the arrows too big?
I also thought about whether the arrows were too large and came up with another version to compare. Overall, I thought they were actually rather similar and thus went with the original version as a more prominent arrow seemed more eye-catching.

With that, it concludes my documentation on my progress for this final art assignment. To view the final artwork, click here.