Art Critique 2

img_4608

First Feeling:

This is an artwork about few people walking or fishing along the shore. I have a feeling of peace and lonely when I first see this artwork. The edgeless ocean and sky make me feel that I am too small to this world.

Analysis:

Lines are used to represent different texture such like sky, ocean and shore’s grass. Simple shapes and true scale are applied to this artwork to make it realistic. The light source comes from the back of the picture which makes the people on the shore cannot be seen clearly. The direction of the light source can also easily deducted from the shadow of the people. This picture has a rough texture in order to represent the sky, ocean and grass. Moreover, deep space is applied in this artwork to show the vast sea and sky.

This is a linocut artwork. The texture in this picture that linocut made creates a different feeling for me, making me feel this is a social realism artwork. Meanwhile, rule of thirds is applied to this artwork that 1/3 beneath the picture are main objects such like people and the rest 2/3 are the sky and the ocean. This artwork portrays a very ordinary scene about people walking and fishing along the shore, but the position of the shadow, the scale and the composition together creates a feeling of smallness and loneliness.

Lim Yew Kuan is a well-known second-generation Nanyang Style artist for his excellent painting, printmaking and sculpting skill. He was born in Xiamen, China and his late father was also well-known Singapore pioneer artist called Lim Hak Tai.

Seaside portrays a scene of people walking and fishing along the seaside. During the years from 1964 to 1979, Lim was serving as the second principle of the Nanyang Academy and the artwork seaside was created at the second year of his job in Nanyang Academy which is 1966. To represent the serene beauty of the tropics, Lim created this realism artwork via linocut. Seaside is considered as artists’ deep understanding of the printmaking medium which uniquely grounded his solid foundation in the art field of realism.