Art Critique 3

img_4629

First Feeling:

I feel vital when I first see this artwork, the color of the tree and the sky makes me feel that everything is prospering.

Analysis:

Lines are used to outline the shape of the objects (tree, mountain, buildings and clouds). This painting has a rough texture and its scale is realistic. Complex shape are used to represent the tree, the clouds and the building. This artwork has a deep space and the light source comes from the front of the picture since the light reflection is found on the top tree’s leaves, depth is used to show the vast of the scenery.

Analogous colors (red, orange and yellow) are applied to this artwork. Majority of the colors are red and orange which allows it to show the prosperity of lives, besides the red color at the lower part stands out and become the center of attention. Monochromatic colors are also applied in the artwork to show the shadows and reflection.

The lacquer artwork Landscape of Vietnam belongs to impressionist since the artist was trying to capture the best fabulous moment of the scenery in Vietnam. The arrangement of the objects is asymmetrical but the artist used the depth of the space to balance the asymmetry perfectly.

Nguyen Gia Tri was a famous Vietnamese painter for his mastery of lacquer painting. He did the lacquer artwork Landscape of Vietnam in 1940 when he was taken by the French government to a remote area. The landscape in this painting portrays the scenery where he used to stay. Furthermore I think Nguyen Gia Tri was also trying to express his love to his homeland by making this artwork. Landscape of Vietnam shows his excellent and unique skill in lacquer and with this technique, Gia’s lacquer work is certainly Vietnamese landscape and culture at its best.