Journal Journey – Line Process I

METHODS USED TO CREATE LINE TEXTURES AND EFFECTS
(Click on Images to see Them in Detail)

1. Cling Wrap Method.

I painted black water colour paint on each paper below and cover them with cling wrap. I left them to dry over night and the effect was really cool when I saw it in the morning.

Photo 10-9-15 5 34 59 am

The image below shows the result from twisting the cling wrap when placed above. I was inspired by the tie-dye method and I wanted to create and achieve dispersed lines, with direction away from one another, when I was attempting this method.

Photo 18-9-15 9 54 21 pm
2. Glueing of Medium on Paper.

The medium I used was tissue paper!

I mixed glue with water before I paste the strips of tissue paper down on to a black piece of paper.
The image below shows how they appear to look once dried. It was quite messy yet fun to play around with glue!

Photo 9-9-15 8 15 23 am

3. Crackling Effect Method

Similarly, researching on other possible ways that glue could be used for creating more textures has led me to this method!

Firstly, I used the glue and water mixture and applied it on a black strip of paper. ,Followed by painting white paint on top of the glue and lastly, blow drying it. This will create the crackling effect that never fail to amaze each time I do a new strip. I attempted working on 3 different types of paint. Water colour, gouache and acrylic white paint. Using acrylics would give bigger cracks and the thicker the paint, the more obvious and larger the crack gets. Whereas for using gouache and water colour, the cracks turned out nearer to each other. This creates a different feel. The cracks appears to look more fragile compared to the larger cracks. Hence, I tried mixing both acrylic and gouache together to achieve different variation of crack sizes.  Also, working on transparencies did not work out as well as on black paper as the cracks was not obvious enough.

Photo 18-9-15 10 05 09 pm
Photo 18-9-15 9 49 01 pm

4. Marbling Method

I learned about this method a few years back on youtube. It was a nail polish tutorial on how to make ‘the marbling effect’ on your nails. This time, I dripped chinese ink into a bucket of water, and then gently and slowly lay a piece of paper over the top. It gave a different result each time. It was exciting to see how each one will turn out each time.

Photo 18-9-15 9 44 54 pmMy marbling work station above.

Photo 8-9-15 5 20 45 am

I tried using tracing paper instead of paper. The ink did not get absorbed as well as how paper did. Thus, I decided to make some random brush strokes on the surface instead. The outcome was satisfying and I really liked how it turned out. The paper dried crisps and the ink remained permanent with softer looking stokes of different thickness.

5. Stamp Method

I was on Pinterest and I came across stamps and was inspired to make one myself. I gave them a try and it turned out great! Definitely the string stamp was able to absorb more ink compared to the metal wire stamp.

6. Wire Grid Method

I went for the short cut way and got myself a BBQ wire mesh. No regrets! It was such a great time saving tool.

12021820_10153358866803423_1238929504_n
My Handy BBQ Mesh!

IMG_2666 (1)

7. Glue with Paint Method

Mixing paint with glue helps the paint stick onto the paper with a 3D glossy effect. I will also give a thicker consistency and higher viscosity unlike if mixed paint with water instead.

8. Blowing Paint Method

This method will begin with the dripping of paint on to the edge of the paper and by tilting the paper, the paint would flow down spontaneously. It would disperse in random directions when blown through a straw. The result from this method was stunning!

9. Fumage Method

This automatic technique was cool and also rather dangerous at the same time. Yes I burnt a lot of paper while doing this!

I tried placing a piece of paper with poked holes in the oven but I did not achieve any results from doing that though!
Photo 18-9-15 10 21 44 pm

Photo 18-9-15 9 54 06 pm

1 comment for “Journal Journey – Line Process I