Marking Making Tool

My mark-making tools are fountain pen and strings.

01 This mark is made by fountain pen and ink. I felt that using ink, I can express raw emotions (usually negative emotions). The contrast is strong and the saturation of the ink give desirable effect.










These marks are made with strings. Some of the marks I bounced the strings saturated with ink. I thought that the bouncing motions give out positive emotions with energy.
Some of the marks I made by arranging the inked string between two papers and pulling the string held between two papers. This method creates different pattern from drawing the lines. I felt that it creates an expression of wings.


2D Sketch Analysis of 2 Models

Model 1

IMG_6024 IMG_6025IMG_6026

(2) Draft 1


IMG_6083 IMG_6084








2D Sketch Analysis

(2) Draft 2The height of the SO is comparable to the height of the SD. Moreover, the height of the SD is similar to the width of D. Thus, the height of SO should become much more smaller and make the SD smaller as well. I turned the SO to the other side so that the width of the SO vary compared to SD without making the SO much smaller. And I pierced the SO so that it can be seen from other angles as well. The model came out with clear D, SD, and SO with the nice balance of volumes. However, I did not make this a final model as I felt that it is not as interesting composition as the final model.


Model 2


IMG_5976 IMG_5977










IMG_6021 IMG_6022









2D Sketch Analysis

(3) Draft 1

Model 2 had a lot of problems. In some angles, the D has less presence compared to SD. SO should move more towards the ⅓ of SD and could me thinner. Moreover, it is stacked towards one side, so it would be nicer to counterbalance the composition by putting SO to the other side.


Model 3 (Drafts of the Final Model)


IMG_6027 IMG_6028 IMG_6030




















2D Sketch Analysis

(1) Draft 1(1) Draft 2






So this is the 2 drafts before the final model. At first, SO was too big compared to SD, so SO was reduced a lot in both lengths and height. SD had similar height to D’s width. So, I reduced it to ⅔ of D. After the second model, the D was too big compared to SD and SO, thus, the size of the dominant was reduced. After reducing the width of D, it looked similar to the height of SD, thus SD was reduced again. The orientation of SO also changed to counter balance the SD. Before, SO and SD was placed on the same side. After changing, SO was placed at the other end diagonally opposite of SD. SO looked slightly similar to SD, thus the size of SO reduced a lot from the top view as well, which led me to the final model.