4D Fdn II: Narrative Continued (Ex. 2)

The Chorus (2004)

I chose one of my a favorite movies for this assignment, “the chorus” directed by Christophe Barratier. It is an adaptation of the 1945 film A Cage of Nightingales

Summery

The plot involves the widely successful orchestra conductor Pierre Morhange, who returns to France when his mother dies. He reminisces about his childhood inspirations when he and his former classmate Pépinot read the diary of their old music teacher Clément Mathieu. In 1949, a young Morhange is the badly behaved son of single mother Violette. He attends the boarding institution for “difficult” boys, Fond de L’Étang (“Bottom of the Pond”), presided over by strict headmaster Mr Rachin. New teacher Mathieu brightens up the school and assembles a choir, leading to the discovery of Morhange’s musical and physical talents and a transformation in the children.

Theme

From the movie, I feel it touched a lot about human interaction and relationships, there is a recurring direction of the film which I interpret it as “everyone need someone to believe in them”.

• The music teacher Mathieu believing in the rebellious class. Vice-versa the class believing in him back to protect them from the headmaster.
  • The janitor trusting that the kids didn’t hurt him on purpose.
  • Morhange’s talent discovered by Mathieu even after being tremendously difficult to deal with.
  • Pépinot believing in Mathieu to care for him as a guardian.

Author: Alfred Yeo

Every colour has a mood, every design has a purpose, and every word communicates something.