Assignment 2

Brief –

Hannah and Dan have been best friends since young. Hannah being a bubbly and fun-loving girl have attracted everybody love for her. Dan was nevertheless, one of them. However, an unfortunate encounter with a broken arm doll brought Dan away from her. Is there a deeper reason behind whatever you see or is it just the way it is? – watch and find out now!

Story Summary –

Dan wanted to surprise Hannah by mending the broken arm of the doll they found the other day, turned out to be a surprise that costs him more than what he could pay.

Morale of the story –

“Sometimes it’s good to keep broken things the way it is. There’s always a reason why it’s broken in the first place.” 

Scene 1 – shows Hannah looking at an old photo of Dan. (Trying to communicate to the audience that the person in the photo (Dan) has passed on.)

Scene 2 – on wards is a flashback, to 8 years ago. (Telling a story why scene 1 happens.)

Scene 8  was communicated using silhouettes to give the audience a sense of mystery as well as to communicate that Hannah wasn’t sure who’s the dark figure was.

Scene 10 part II – shows Hannah smiling but was portrayed in a darker way to communicate that something unfortunate is about to happen and it’s definitely something that Hannah didn’t expected to be.

Scene 13 – Strings were used to show the doll’s control over Dan. For scene 13 part I, Doll was placed closer to the foreground and slightly above his head to show the dominance of the doll over Dan. – (Manipulation)

Scene 14 – Dan has been “turned”.

Scene 15 – Strings were placed in the foreground to symbolize Hannah feeling “trapped”.

Scene 16 – shows that the dominance of the doll over Dan being cut off. Same goes to Hannah’s fate with Dan’s.

Scene 20 – A fragment of the note was placed at the foreground and at the background shows Hannah’s feet walking away from scene depicts that Hannah actually neglected and missed out on one part of the note.

Planning Process – Scene | Layout | Camera

I started of with a genre and catch line (“Sometimes it’s good to keep broken things the way it is. There’s always a reason why it’s broken in the first place.”)  I would like to work on. Always been a fan of horror/mystery genre or anything related hence I decided to kick start from my area of interest to bring my catch line across. I got some inspiration from puppet master and Ouija Board whereby the evil tries to take charge and control. However, I find that we are always the reason why some thing happen therefore, in some way I hope my creation would serve as a reminder/warning to my audience in their daily lives.

FullSizeRender (5)
Planning the frames scenarios.
FullSizeRender (3)
Planning of shots – Camera angle/perspective.

Author: Fiona Lim

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow..."