Project 1b Fire and Ice

Fire and Ice by Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

I have broken up the poem into five parts to represent the poem with 5 images that i drew myself.

For the first image it is a representation of the first two sentence of the poem “Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice”. Fire and Ice are separated with a black line in the centre. And the black parts at each end of the portion signifies the end. They are position inverted to magnify the sense of contrast between Fire and Ice.

For the second image it is a representation of the lines “From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire.” The “Fire” from the first image is repeated in the background to reemphasize the first two lines. A dog is used as the signifier of warm, passion and desire as dogs usually gives people a more warm, Fire-like feeling. The heart on the dog’s chest is again an emphasis on the warm emotions.

For the third image it is a representation of the lines “But if it had to perish twice” two stars of red and blue colour are placed in the black background to signify the end of the world. It also represents the transition from fire to ice in the poem. This image shows that both fire and ice are capable of destroying the world and stars are used as a signifier of destruction. And the black background is used to link with the fifth image.

For the forth image it is a representation of the lines “I think I know enough of hate to say that for destruction ice is also great” Similar to that in the second image, the “Ice” from the first image is repeated in the background to reemphasize the first two lines. But now, a cat is used as the signifier of cold feelings like hatred and jealousy as cats usually gives people a more cold, distant, ice-like feeling. The tear drop on the cat’s face is used to emphasis on the cold emotions. A thin layer of warm colours is also layed out on this image to signify the idea that fire and ice coexist.

For the fifth and the last image it is a representation of the line “And would suffice” it is an image that wraps everything up and correlate to all five images. It is a image that is black with a little light left from the end of the two stars that distinguished from the third image. It signifies the end of everything resulting from fire and ice, and at the same time also give the idea of start and initiation.

Research on the interpretation of the poem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_and_Ice_(poem)

http://blog.udn.com/wallace1960/4658568

Artist reference

http://www.plurk.com/p/l5pmmv

Fire and Ice by Jack Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.

Fire and Ice_01

From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.

Fire and Ice_02

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great

Fire and Ice_04

And would suffice.

Fire and Ice_05