Uncluttering – 4 – Reduction/Ragwork

“Koichi Yamamoto is an artist

who merges the traditional and contemporary by creating unique and innovative approaches to the language of printmaking.”

Yamamoto inspired me with his mono printing with his huge roller and his ability to create structured compositions based on just mono printing alone.

Works:

1163642533.jpg (297×400)

His works made me delve deeper into the mono printing process and i found out that much like putting paint onto paper, we can just as easily remove it. I then experimented with his reduction techniques with a wet rag, removing paint as i cleaned or “painted” the ink slab.

the water from the rag stayed on the ink slab, and created interesting water spreads and the monoprinting roller pushed against the slabDSCF4507
By tightening/lowering one side of the roller more than the other, i was able to achieve gradients from light to dark within the same mono print. 

I attempted to form crashing waves as i swept the wet rag across the ink slab repeatedly. This later led on to be my TURBULENT line in my final piece.
When things dont work out the way you want it to, it might be for the better, for instance in this case, where the water diluted the ink too much that it created blank splotches of negative space. those negative spaces, then moved on to add to the composition, and ultimately be come my AMBIGUOUS line for my final.

Author: Toby

A firm believer that hot desserts are not desserts.