uncluttering – 5 – Geometric Collaging

“Albers is best remembered for his work as an abstract painter and theorist. He favored a very disciplined approach to composition.”

Josef Albers did a lot of his work revolving around geometric shapes, namely rectangles and squares.

Works:

The way he laid out the squares and rectangles had a certain composition and looseness to it. that i wanted to attempt to grasp.

I cut out strips of paper and laid them out on monoprint ink slabs and printed them, trying to emulate the looseness Josef Albers had in his compositions.

initially i applied a little too much ink and the ink seeped through the pieces of rectangle paper, however the seeps led to quite an interesting composition.

i laid out the pieces of paper and let them dry to resuse once again.
The second time, the lines and shapes came out more cleanly, but instead the ink oozed through the cracks and formed weird wave-like shapes that eventually made it to me final ices as the feeling of BIZARRE.

Perhaps i did not manage to get the looseness and composition that Albers had in his works with my shapes, but i think through the process i gained even better works that have imperfections, and that i can call my own.

And at the end of the day, isn’t that what art is all about? finding your imperfect piece of perfect art.

Author: Toby

A firm believer that hot desserts are not desserts.