POV: Process

So…. With the concept in mind, I have started experimenting with some styles and compositions that I am going for.

For the idea of “Skin is sunburn, Face is UV damage” here are some reference images I am looking at:

UV damage
Sunburn skin peeling

So I have came up with some mock up compositions..

face-wip
UV Mapping of a human head texture
20160315_220901
my failed experimentation

With this mock up, I have originally planned to use the pyrography technique to try to burn holes into the face to show the damage done.. So I have experimented with burning a stick and poking it into paper, but it only resulted with burnt marks….

head-wip
photo manipulation of a head texture

As for “skin is sunburn” I have decided to also follow the style of a “head mapping texture” and also to recreate the peeling skin on the scalp. I thought of using those Daiso Charcoal / nose skin cleanser products (when dried) as they give off that peely effect but it seems like Daiso was out of stock.. hahafrown

Next up, I tried composing the shot for “ex-convict is freedom”, and with some sketchy-style images I found + drawing with a mouse, I have managed to recreate the pyrography style in Photoshop. (yay to photomanipulation)

excon
The sun from the point of view of an ex-convict is FREEDOM without silhouette.

I kinda really loved the result of this image.. so I have decided to create the other compositions in this style… For the silhouettes, I have fired up Illustrator and started creating the prison/barbed fences… then went to process the papercuts out.

exconfull
composed image on Illustrator
IMG-20160314-WA0007
barbed wires papercut

So to end this post… here is the sneak peak of the “draft” of all of the compositions after adding the silhouettes counterparts in Illustrator.

all