DN1011 Form & Visualisation Assignment 3: – Aural – Visual Dislocation – An Installation Piece

Part 1: Prelude – Site & Ergonomic Studies (Pair Work done with Wei Lin)

Link to slides:

Part 2: Installation Design (Individual)

DN1011 Form & Visualisation Assignment 2A: Object & Weave Technique Studies

Task 1 – Object Studies

For this task, we had to bring a personal item that is held, worn or carried to be studied.

I ended up bringing a wireless mouse.

We had to draw the top, front and side view of the object so I did a sketch before drawing on the graph paper. I also added the measurements on the sketches.

The drawing I did in pencil wasn’t very clear so I went over it with a pen.

Then, we had to draw the 2 point perspective of the object. I also did some sketches of it (shown above) before I did the actual drawing. Once again, I went over the drawing with a pen.


Task 2 – Weave Technique Studies 

For task 2, we had to weave a 2D and a 3D pattern as a pair work. Chien Ping and I decided to work on the 2D component together. We didn’t have any tape or water so it was really hard to weave the pattern we chose — hexagonal pattern. We tried the method from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psHmWNielcw but there was too much tension between the rattan strips so we experimented with different methods and ended up just weaving by looking at the picture of a hexagonal pattern.

I decided to try the pattern again at home using tape and the method from the video. I also did it using 5mm cardboard strips. It works better with cardboard as it is thinner and there’s less tension.

For the 3D component, we decided to split it into half, each of us doing 20x20x10 then combine them together. Chien Ping suggested making it look like a pig since it’s Chinese New Year, so I did the top while he did the bottom of the pig.

Before I started making the actual structure, I experimented with a few patterns.

I think the hexagonal pattern looks better but it would be difficult to replicate it with the rattan strips so I used the mat pattern instead. I liked how the sepak takraw ball turned out but I couldn’t put in in my 3D structure.

In order to make it look like a pig, I also added the ears and nose. I tried different materials and sizes on the chrysanthemum bottom pattern for the nose. I also made sure the structure could stand.


Afterwards, we just combined our parts together. For the details of the bottom of the structure, please refer to Chien Ping’s post.




DN1011 Form & Visualisation Assignment 1: Axonometric Drawings

For this assignment, we had to build a structure using at least 15 lego blocks and make an instuction manual for it. I started off with building a kart but I thought the form wasn’t really interesting.

After playing with the blocks, I ended up making a structure that looks like a well.

Afterwards, I drew the individual parts of the structure in the isometric view on the isometric graph paper. I had a difficult time figuring out the angles of the blocks since my structure was unusual.

I put the scan through image trace in illustrator to get a vector of my drawing and made some edits in photoshop. (I added the isometric paper add the back as the lines were lost during the image trace.)

I then realise that the angles of some of the blocks were wrong so I had to redraw them.

After that, I put all the blocks together and coloured them.
(Colours referenced from https://brickset.com/colours/chart)

Finally, I made some adjustments and added some stuff to make it look like a lego instruction manual.