First of all, I scanned in the first few monoprints I did. I wasn’t very sure what to do with monoprint at first as I was quite lost. Therefore I created prints with certain objects such as a scenery as below. They were very much alike without obvious textures. The third image here turned out quite interesting with its feeling of movement and speed,starting from which I got to understand what monoprints may be used to create. However, the many following prints I did turned out very dark as too much ink were applied.
Besides the not so successful mono prints, I tried out other techniques on my own.
More stuffs I did on my hard copy journal as well as paper strips
It was really fun trying many ways of creating images rather than drawing all of them with only pen. I basically took what I saw in front of me and combined them in.
Then I started to look at the emotions given in the hand-out. Looking at the word ‘Bizarre’, the first thing I thought of was those ancient weird looking cave drawings. The shape of a emotionless eye, dark and rough stroke combined with random scribbles were what made the stripe below.
I tried out fumage a few times before I applied this technique into the line. My finger accidentally touched on the line and the colors were erased so I decided to just went with it and drew something using charcoal. It turned out quite nice especially the colors went from light to dark from the left to right along with the flow of the ‘river’ .
For ‘Lyrical’, I was trying out with my protractor and the idea just hit me. I had a certain ‘rule’ when I was drawing it. For example, the straight lines were at different angles if they were adjacent.
I also started to use Chinese Calligraphy ink and brush. With different amounts of water, the effected turned out very differently.
As I was feeling more confident, I continued to try more things out: stencil cuts, charcoal, water and tape, contrast between wet and dry paint etc. I also tried splash the ink freely on the paper as well as let it dripped down on its own and wiped it with tissue.
Top left was the pattern I cut out and tried printing with different inks.
Drew solid line with ink
Drew with ink and water using brush on double-sided tape and then covered it with single-side tape
Drew dark parts with tapes on the line, remove the tape and filled in blank with dry brush and then added in thin white lines
Charcoal on glue
Gravity, water& ink wiped textures by tissue paper
I liked the combination of many different materials as well as the contrast between dark black, light black and white.
A few lines created with repeated line also seem interesting to me. In fact, I did them when I was listening at a cca meeting. It was really relaxing and required no deep thinking but turning out good.
The top one was the result of the combination of both free water flow and decalcomania
the left one below had a texture that kind of reminded me of the moon surface
These were the lines I was most satisfied with at that moment so I decided I should start on making lines on actual stripes with the correct scale.
Most of the lines below were used in the final lines so I will explain more in another post!
Hope you enjoy them.