On 22 March 2016, I interviewed Phyo Wai Linn, assistant manager of Dancing Crab. Dancing Crab is a Louisiana Seafood restaurant. The one that I went to is at Orchard Central.
Some keywords that I gathered from interview and observation
- Concept (as taken from the website):”Welcome to Dancing Crab, serving a mix of robust, country-style Cajun seafood and the distinctive richness of Creole cuisine. Dancing Crab is a refreshing, American counterpart to Singapore’s equally famed preferences for seafood, shellfish and rich flavors. Backed by one of Singapore’s oldest seafood restaurant leaders, TungLok Group, Dancing Crab sources their shellfish from the same vendors used at the group’s best seafood restaurants, offering a range from Boston lobster to Dungeness crab.New Orleans, Louisiana is known for its happy atmosphere, lively music, and high spirits. Dancing Crab brims with life, bringing the same emphasis to its colorful location at The Grandstand, welcoming its guests to eat, drink, and be merry.”
- Food: wet and gravy seafood for Singapore’s taste
- Primary color: black (classic)
- Secondary colors: white and red (to attract customers)
- Logo: red crab with ‘Dancing Crab’ in bold sans serif
- Visual language: vectorized seafood illustration with bold text
- Props: flags, beach-inspired props like crab, nets, anchor, lighthouse, etc.
- Music: hip-hop with high upbeat that some of the customers will also shake their legs according to the beat.
- Working culture: no old-school (no strict rule). However, if possible, the staffs should not put their back towards their customers to be aware of the customers’ needs.
- Customer feeling: happy about the food and place. The staffs will clap and dance for customers who are having birthday as a surprise.
- Customer range: any age, any nationalities
- Motto: not FINE dining, but FUN dining
Firstly, I was surprised that I did not feel that shy in approaching peopleeeeeeee!!! YAAASSSSS.
Anyway, I think that I am in the right direction for my FYP since I could learn more about branding in the direct field, and I could talk to a lot of people. One homework for me is to make my own name card to be exchanged with the people I will be in contact with.
Next, I was thinking of promoting the restaurants I went to on an Instagram account solely devoted to talk about the visual side of interesting cafes/restaurants/hawkers.